Caribou Gear

Pop Up 28 - Versatile Enough for MT and PA?

Stagg412

Two friends and I will be hunting MT this fall and I need a pack for the trip. Since there's no guarantee I'll be trekking out West again (who am I kidding... I already know I'm going to love it!) I've made a rule for myself that I'm not going to buy any equipment for this hunt that I can't use on my usual whitetail hunts back here in PA, especially the most expensive stuff such as packs.

After going round and round I keep coming back to the Pop Up 28 because it seems like a versatile in-betweener pack. Realistically, will it be enough for me to use as a day pack when we hike out from the cabin or trailhead -- we are not packing in tents, sleeping bags, etc. -- but also carry my fair share if we need to haul meat and antlers out? My one buddy already got an Exo 3500 and the other is looking at Kuiu Icon Pro 3200. My budget is around $300 for a pack. I'm 6'4 with a 19" torso and 36" waist.

I was resigned to a Badlands 2200 because of the price, but for an extra $20 I can get what seems to be a higher-quality pack in the Pop Up 28. I'd lose some volume and built-in frills, but add peace-of-mind over the quality difference that seems to exist between the two companies based on my research. I just don't want to come up short if we get something on the ground.

Thoughts... suggestions... advice? Thanks!

I'd lean towards the Mystery Ranch, they make some great packs. I do not have one myself but what I've heard from the people I know, they do love'em.

I have a stone glacier solo and use it all the time in PA, NY, and out west. This year I'll have it in Canada for moose and bear. It is a little expensive but the comfort has made it worth it. I strap sticks and a lock on stand with my outer layers in the bag and away I go deer hunting in PA. If hunting in NY I do the same but up there I can quarter the deer the same as we do out west so it gets used for that too.

You might want to look at the Stone Glacier Avail 2200. I purchased one last summer and I love it. It also has an expandable meat shelf built in that you can use to haul quarters. Not quite the space you are looking out with the other packs, but it is plenty for a day pack. It is definitely something you could use on whitetail hunts as well.

Hands down Mystery Ranch. I owned Badlands packs and they are nice don't get me wrong. But they are one size fits most type of pack. With the Mystery Ranch you can adjust the torso length of your pack so it fits you perfectly. Pop Up 28 is designed for a minimalist in mind, if you carry the bare minimum it would be perfect. The design is sweet and the overhaul meatshelf is easy to use.
I just bought a Mystery Ranch Metcalf from blackovis.com. If you sign up for their email list you get 10% off your first order and free shipping. They have tons of packs and gear to choose from.

I have the Exo3500 and I use it all the time here in PA for day hunts and overnight. Can't say enough good things about it but with budget being a primary factor I would agree with the comment above to keep an eye out on camofire for Mystery Ranch packs coming out.

Check eBay for a good used pack. If your budget is $300 you should be able to find something decent. Fwiw, I have an icon pro 3200 that has served me well. I had a badlands 2200 that I used for 1 week then sold. Just was not comfortable for me.

Yes. I have the pop up 18 and been rucking with it the past month or so. It’s a solid pack with up to about 70 pounds.

You might want to look at the Stone Glacier Avail 2200. I purchased one last summer and I love it. It also has an expandable meat shelf built in that you can use to haul quarters. Not quite the space you are looking out with the other packs, but it is plenty for a day pack. It is definitely something you could use on whitetail hunts as well.

I have an avail as well, love it for a hiking pack, but I wouldn't count on it as a heavy load hauler. The panel on the back would seriously struggle with a quarter in it.

I'm hoping to check out the pop ups this weekend and based on looks think it would be a really good day pack and first load hauler.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Camofire has a Scapegoat 35 for $195. I'm tempted to grab it, but the descriptions emphasize its light weight over its hauling capability as it has a different frame than the beefier packs. I'll probably just be patient and keep checking camofire and keep an eye out for higher end used packs. Anyone have any experiences -- good, bad or otherwise -- posting a WTB on here or Rokslide?

I had the scapegoat 35 and 25. Neither are good meat haulers. They are however excellent day packs. The pop up while handle way more weight and still be comfortable. They don’t haul as well as my guidelite frames but they are close. The main difference I find is the belt volume. The pop up packs are definitely a good day pack and meathauler

MR Pop-up 28 is a good quality pack. It would work nice as a day hunt pack, and would probably be useful on the PA Whitetail hunts as well.

Just to close the loop on this, I found a two-year-old Kuiu IP 3200 in what looks like great condition w/ a couple accessories on the Rokslide classified forum and snapped it up. I'm excited to get the new-to-me bag. I guess this means I really need to start getting myself in MT hill climbing shape.

I have the exo and swear by it. It hauls heavy loads great for packing out and I use it as a day pack. My hunting partner has a mystery ranch(not sure what one), and same thing, he swears by it. I would spend the extra couple bucks and get the mystery ranch if that's with in your budget. You might be able to find a similar pack off brand for less, but these higher end packs are proven to do the work and last too.

I have an avail as well, love it for a hiking pack, but I wouldn't count on it as a heavy load hauler. The panel on the back would seriously struggle with a quarter in it.

I'm hoping to check out the pop ups this weekend and based on looks think it would be a really good day pack and first load hauler.

The avail on the xcurve frame can easily pack a hind quarter. I packed 3 different bulls out last fall with it and two of those were 5+ miles in...

It's a great pack, but I prefer the Solo 3300 just to have a little more bag space.

I just picked up the PopUp 28, and it looks like a great day pack that can haul the first load out easily. I live/hunt in Montana, but i also hunt West Virginia and Alabama, and though I haven't had the chance to field test it yet (hoping to do that on Black Bear here in the next couple weeks), I am confident that I will use it extensively in all 3 states.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back