Arrow Selection VAP vs RIP vs anything else

NYSKIER

Hi guys,

Posted this on Rokslide but didn't get any help so far (pretty rare occurrence and I'm antsy so I'm reaching out here as well)

Currently I shoot a standard size arrow but am looking to move to a smaller diameter arrow. I was thinking about the Victory VAP or RIP as well as the new TKO versions. I currently shoot a 28inch 350 spine 420 grain total weight Victory VForce gamer arrow (Shoot 125 grain points). I shoot a 67lb 27.5 draw bowtech realm. I think my arrow weight pretty good and I don't need to go crazy getting my weight up I just need help deciding on a good arrow for penetration and flight. I did the math and if I get VAP (non TKO) My arrow will come in around 410 grains. Will this loss of weight be more than the gains from a smaller diameter? Is it worth going for the TKO version? Also I know that there is diameter difference between RIP and VAP (.204 vs .166) and this will cause a penetration difference but is it going to be a very substantial difference? Any input or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve had good luck with the VAPs with stainless outserts. I wouldn’t bother with the aluminum outserts but that’s just me.

I have a buddy who has VAPs, he has a love/hate relationship with them. Doesn't really like them for target practice because its hard for his friction target to stop them before the fletching. Obviously there are ways to prevent this, buying a new target made for them, etc. He does love the performance. If I was going small diameter, I'd go VAPs. I personally shoot maxima reds and they do fine at long distance on the wind swept prairies.

Outsert and halfouts suck.save yourself aggravation and stick with size .204 Id shafts with Hit inserts or .224 Id with regular inserts.

I’ve never had a stainless one break or bend very bad. That being said I might be with Trial on my next batch of arrows...

Thanks for the input guys I spoke with the guys at lancaster archery supply I'm going to give the RIP's with the outserts a shot for now because he said they have made improvements. If I hate them I'll switch arrows or try the Hit or stainless inserts

I ran RIP elites with SS outserts and they very nice work. I felt like I was underspined with the SS on a 340 with them and I decided with getting a new bow I wanted to give those VAP tko elites a try with the SS outserts. Shooting 80yds with significant wind I dont need to compensate at all. I like them alot and since I went to them I have two good hunting buddies who are switching to them as well now. They both ran Easton ACCs but they were discontinued. Those 2 shot with me alot and hunted with me so they must of seen enough to like them as well. One of them went with the Titanium halfouts that Easton made. They fit the VAPs nice, it makes it look like a very clean arrow. Smooth transition all the way to the broadhead.

I have the RIP TKO's and dig them. I broke one when I didn't have my slider set right and shot under the target, but hit a big rock head on. Otherwise I am happy with them.

They seem super consistent and well made. I am using the stainless insert/ outsert. I am shooting 28" draw with a 27 3/4" arrow and comes in about 452gr (285 fps @ #70).

CampRipleyLF, have your buddy run a ratchet strap around his target (assuming it is a layered target). That made all the difference in the world for me. I don't shoot bh's into my layered target, but before strapping it all the arrows were to the fletching, but after it is much better. I shoot bh's into my 3d pig target...

Thanks for all of the input guys I ended up ordering the TKO's and I'll be putting them together and trying them out as soon as I restring my bow

I have a tight spot and it is good, but a 2 piece quiver causes less vibration. I want to figure a way to add a small brace for the quiver where the arrow grippers are, but my bow does not have any option for mounting the 2 piece.

Regarding holding the arrows, the tight spot does a great job even with only one row of arrow grippers which I was concerned about.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back