20GA for Waterfowl?

Kippler33

I have my Remington 870 20ga that has carried me through the deer woods since I first started hunting. I would like it to be more versatile and allow me to hunt a variety of species, seeing as I don't have the means to have dedicated guns. I have recently discovered the 20ga to be a more than adequate turkey gun using the right set up. My question is, is the 20ga capable, using the right set up, at being an adequate shotgun for waterfowl?

I have my Remington 870 20ga that has carried me through the deer woods since I first started hunting. I would like it to be more versatile and allow me to hunt a variety of species, seeing as I don't have the means to have dedicated guns. I have recently discovered the 20ga to be a more than adequate turkey gun using the right set up. My question is, is the 20ga capable, using the right set up, at being an adequate shotgun for waterfowl?

Definitely yes for home defense, deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrels, pheasant, dove & grouse. As for ducks, if your 870 will take 3" shells, I would say definitely yes with a quality shell like 3" Federal Black Cloud. If it only chambers 2 3/4" I think it is a little more iffy but doable. If it can shoot 3" shells and get geese in close you can even hunt them, but for the most part I would deem a 20ga as inadequate for geese -- but still that still leaves you a lot to hunt.

In the alternative, you can sell your 20ga and buy a 12gauge and have one gun that does everything short of western big game and long range varmint/predator.

If you are a decent shot and keep all your shots inside 30 yards a 20ga is sufficient for ducks and geese. I know quite a few folks who only use 20s. I know some youth who start out with .410s quite effectively. However, with the .410s they use higher density shot.

pattern your gun with the loads you want to shoot, some combos dont pattern well enough at 30 yards other combos, 50 yards is great, remember a pellet doesnt know if it was shot from a 20 gauge or 12 gauge, its all about the pattern of your combo, theres about as many guys shooting 12 gauges that dont pattern worth a hoot a 30 yards but there banging away at 50-60 yards without a care in the world,,,,,,

Depends on what kind of duck hunting you are talking. Decoying birds inside 30 yards.. all day long. Pass shooting on a heavily hunted refuge.. probably going to be chasing cripples a bit.. Pattern density is key, a good choke designed for waterfowl shot will go a long way. Stick with 3’s or 4’s to keep the pellet count high and keep the shots in close and a 20 will kill ducks/geese..

You can hunt waterfowl with a 20ga...but at some point you will find it lacking. Geese, swans, cranes will all prove tough birds requiring significant payloads. At some point, if you hunt waterfowl enough, you will find it lacking and want to get into a 12ga.

I learned years ago with my nephews gun, that extended choke tubes make a HUGE difference in how they pattern. Turkey choke to modified the longer chokes made a night & day difference

I agree with others, 20ga is fine in many scenarios. If you're concerned about performance I would consider using a premium shell(hevishot, tungsten matrix, etc..) 3" if possible. I would be leery about trying to take geese, or ducks at long range, using regular steel shot. As others have said; pattern pattern pattern.

I have killed plenty of ducks via a 20 gauge, a lot of roosters as well. The geese on the other hand not so much a couple here and there because they were close or I got lucky and scored a couple pellets right in the head. I still take the 20 every once in a while if I know we'll be decoying them in tight but generally opt for the 12 incase of some geese. I would just pattern it with a few different loads see what gives you the best results from 20 30 and 40 and go hunting if you are decoying birds most of your shots should be within 30 good luck.

Sure, if you're willing to pay to use heavier than lead shot.

If a 20 is fine for doves, a goose head is as big as a dove. Take good shots, a 20 is my go to for almost all wingshooting. Use quality shells, and like everyone said, know how it patterns.

For those of you skeptical of 20ga.

Using 2 comparable boxes of shells:

Federal Speed Shok
12 ga, 1550fps, #2, 3", 1 1/8oz. ------ Pellet count 141
20 ga, 1550fps, #2, 3". 7/8oz, -------- Pellet Count 110

We really aren't talking about a huge difference. #2 have plenty of power to kill a large Canada goose at 30 yards. In the end, killing decoying ducks and geese with a 12 vs a 20 comes down to the same thing. Be a good shot.

^ Ditto That^. I've used a 20 GA exclusively for over 30 years, never ever once can say I didn't bag what I was shooting at because of the gauge.
Ducks, doves, quail, bunnies, bushytails, Franklin, turkey, DEER.....

Blame my sorry shooting? YEP !!

My first shotgun was a single shot 20 gauge. My grandfather would let me call the shot on ducks and I can tell you the feet would be skimming the water. You can be patient when you only have one shot, lol.

I have an M2 that i take out now and then, it lays them down pretty well with hevimetal and carlson chokes. It is also my wifes turkey gun and it tears turkeys up as well

I got bit by the waterfowl bug at a young age when all I had was a 20 ga. 2 /34 wingmaster. It did great on decoying birds. Then the steel mandate came out. :( My reaction was to save my paper route money and buy 12 ga. 3 1/2" 835.

My boys kill plenty with a 20 ga. 3" over decoys but even they know it's not the best all around duck gun.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back