"Old Bow" talk here has me thinking of an upgrade!

windymtnman

I've read a few posts here recently, wherein folks are commenting about they're "old bows". Thus far, I haven't read of anyone shooting an older bow than mine, which is a 1986 PSE compound. It this isn't funky enough, I shoot it with fingers, as I could never get accustomed to using a release. In that I'll likely go with an archery Elk license again this year, I'm considering going with a new bow purchase.
If I bought a new bow, I'd probably want to get a bow package with sights, bow quiver, and other sensible accessories. I have no problem drawing my current PSE up over 75lbs. A major concern, making my shopping more difficult, is that I'm LEFT HANDED.
Any thoughts or advice on what brand, model and the like might be the way to go? I know I'll have to pony up a lot more money than my PSE cost, but not ready to spend the kind of $$$ a top of the line brand name, state of the art bow will cost. I looked a bit at what Cabela's sells, but this stuff can get confusing somewhat, and some retailers don't even offer Left Hand equipment. Is it unrealistic that I could find a good set up for say $600 to $700 for a package? (BTW, I suppose I'd morph into a release too)

I've read a few posts here recently, wherein folks are commenting about they're "old bows". Thus far, I haven't read of anyone shooting an older bow than mine, which is a 1986 PSE compound. It this isn't funky enough, I shoot it with fingers, as I could never get accustomed to using a release. In that I'll likely go with an archery Elk license again this year, I'm considering going with a new bow purchase.
If I bought a new bow, I'd probably want to get a bow package with sights, bow quiver, and other sensible accessories. I have no problem drawing my current PSE up over 75lbs. A major concern, making my shopping more difficult, is that I'm LEFT HANDED.
Any thoughts or advice on what brand, model and the like might be the way to go? I know I'll have to pony up a lot more money than my PSE cost, but not ready to spend the kind of $$$ a top of the line brand name, state of the art bow will cost. I looked a bit at what Cabela's sells, but this stuff can get confusing somewhat, and some retailers don't even offer Left Hand equipment. Is it unrealistic that I could find a good set up for say $600 to $700 for a package? (BTW, I suppose I'd morph into a release too)

Now this is funny, I originally shot a PSE Nova, which I still have, and finally upgraded to a PSE Axe a few years ago(got a deal for $300 less as it was LH and it was new old stock). I'm also LH and it was tough to find bows to even test as very few shops had LH bows. If I were you, I would stick with PSE and there are many bows that are more than enough without having to go top of the line these days and you should be able to stay under 600 IMO.

Now this is funny, I originally shot a PSE Nova, which I still have, and finally upgraded to a PSE Axe a few years ago(got a deal for $300 less as it was LH and it was new old stock). I'm also LH and it was tough to find bows to even test as very few shops had LH bows. If I were you, I would stick with PSE and there are many bows that are more than enough without having to go top of the line these days and you should be able to stay under 600 IMO.

I can attest to the PSE. I bought my wife a Stinger ready to shoot package with 6 arrows and walked out with it all for about $400. I was so impressed with the bow that I bought one for myself to have a fully set up and functional backup bow. They come left handed as well.

Stinger is not a bad choice at all I shot that bow for a bunch of years before I upgraded it and it was true and never let me down.

If your getting a new bow, you will almost need to go with a release. Good to hear you are because will the axel to axel length now there days, it makes it difficult to use fingers. You could always check out a pro shop, give them a price range and they will give you your options. I'd think about spending a little more just because when you end up buying one you can make it last another 30 years like your last bow.

Bows are like cars... "drive them off of the lot and they decrease in value instantly". If you KNOW your set-up then look on craigslist. Most archery websites such as this and archerytalk have "for sale" forums.

One last item. I hardly ever upgrade (however, I think that you are due for an upgrade). I once "upgraded" and I shot worse then I did with my old archery set-up. Went back to my old set-up and I am shooting better then ever. Don't think that I will ever "upgrade" again. Sometimes "upgrading" is like "keeping up with the jones'".

good luck to all
the dog

Yours is only a few years older than mine. 1992 Golden Eagle Hawk Carbine.
My daughter got a Diamond Infinite Edge the other year. Hers at 35lb is same 210 fps as mine at 60lb.

I'm saving up for an APA Viper Air. 3.4lb. Setting it up for 50 lb draw weight.
Should add almost another 80fps. I'm hoping anyways.

APA does list l/h models. Might want to check out their websight.

1989 Oneida Screamin Eagle. I bought it a new string and a Whisker Biskit this year, and replaced the three aluminum arrows I had left with a dozen new carbons. It's heavy, long, and loud. I wish I could afford a new one, but as that is not in the picture, I refuse to test shoot new bows. My recurve is an old 1950's Ben Pearson.

For left hand, check out Cabelas Bargain Cave. Seems there are always a few lefties in there.

Wow...I thought me still shooting my 96' Mathews Z-Light made me a dinosoar.
I rarely sell anything, but both of my old Hoyt's I would buy back if I could find them.
The single cam was the bees knees and I had to get the Solo Cam fever.

The Solo Cam is still standing watch with me this year, only this month I dropped the Biscuit and am shooting QAD MIcro Adjust drop rest.

Good luck to the OP on this thread and I hope your new bow is quieter and makes you happy.

Wow! And ithought the 2003 Browning Adrenaline SX i just put a new string and rest on was old.

If you keep an eye out you can sometimes find killer deals on used bows as folks purchase the latest and greatest.

I suspect you would enjoy shooting a bow made this century.

Update..............new buss cable and zebra string on the Z-Light

Next week am buying Black Gold Ascent Verdict 3 pin slider ( Thanks for the info Big Fin)

If my 97 Ford was still running deer would still be riding in the back.

Back