Default Steel Gong Target Setup

I'm in the market to get my own steel target setup with a stand for long range shooting. I have been searching online and maybe I'm punching in the wrong info, but I'm not really finding a lot of product availability, so I figured I would post here and see what you guys are using. I would like the steel to be at least a 12" circle/square, but 16" would be better. Thoughts?

What is long range to you?

My preferred target has a 44" bull and a 10" center. But I shoot irons at 1000.

Just depends on what you are trying to do.

I built my own out of AR plate. It's 1/2" thick and 24" diameter.....it's insanely heavy, but it has taken thousands of bullets from .25-06-.338 edge and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    What is long range to you?

My preferred target has a 44" bull and a 10" center. But I shoot irons at 1000.

Just depends on what you are trying to do.
    700 max. The bulk of what I am doing is 300-600. 600 is my personal limit on big game with how I am set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage2011 View Post
    I built my own out of AR plate. It's 1/2" thick and 24" diameter.....it's insanely heavy, but it has taken thousands of bullets from .25-06-.338 edge and never had an issue.
    My hope is to find something portable that I can take to my range and set up and move at variable distances.

A quick spin on Amazon will turn them up.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2ZW0R4FBKT94I

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    A quick spin on Amazon will turn them up.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2ZW0R4FBKT94I
    Thanks 1_Pointer the 16" w/stand by CMP is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure my search didn't turn that up when I was looking for. I've saved it in my cart. just in case I find something else.

For simple portable set up I use these with a 2x4 and some EMT legs - simple DIY - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VR6XL16/
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

Make sure you get AR 500 steel. mtmuley

I was a little skeptical at first, but these things are really cool and work great. http://www.laststands.com/product/the-last-stand/

I see they sell hangers and steel now too. I just use chain to hang my plates, but their system looks good to me.

Check out Gunwerks on Youtube.
    They show how to build one with an old plow disc.
    Pretty cool.

I got one from Cabelas that I haven't actually put to use yet. It only has a 10" gong, which is a bit smaller than I'm used to. I suppose it'll make me a better shot?! Or I'll just miss more. We'll see. I got it on sale for about $75.00. I suppose I can buy a different gong down the road.

Aim small.
    Miss small.

14. Default

I bought the following parts and then went to home depot and bought black metal pipe 4 3' sections of metal and a 2x4.

Bracket, currently OOS but there are other options - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Straps, people said you will eventually shoot metal chain - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gong, these guys are near my house - https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-STEEL...EAAOxyfuZR1s-j

15. Default

Name:  gong.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  78.3 KB

Over the years we have been changing our range, started with scrap disc blades and metal hung by chains. As has already been said, use AR500 steel, free-used disc blades and scrap steel are fine for awhile, but don't hold up. Chain works pretty good, but will get shot through. Belting lasts longer, although chain might give better sound-feedback. Here's a 12" square converted from hanging by chains to a single belt.
    Name:  20180410_152018.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  151.4 KB
    ishootdasmallones, are you setting these up on your own place or family/friend's place? If you can use steel fence posts and leave them in place, that's a great way to hang steel. My preferred hanging method is using T-post brackets. A 10" circle on a key-lock hanger. It doesn't show in pic, but it's an arrowhead shaped hanger and works well especially on smaller targets that sometimes flip off of hook style hangers.
    Name:  20180410_152306.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  144.9 KB
    Here's one of the hook style T-post hangers and a couple of targets, including one of my favorites.
    Name:  20180410_152518.jpg
Size:  226.3 KB
    Name:  20180410_153408.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  134.7 KB
    Name:  20180410_153430.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  50.4 KB
    For really good sound feedback this T-post popper has great sound. For long range targets, I think the 1/4" AR500 has better sound than thick AR500, but may not be good for closer range targets.
    Name:  20180410_152712.jpg
Size:  151.5 KB
    Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up is what makes it permanent.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I think I have a good idea where to start now.

fishing4sanity, no, I'm looking for something fairly portable to take out to my range and shoot 3-600 yards.

18. Default

I built a nice portable stand out of rebar. I will snap some pictures tomorrow. I also bought my 1/2” ar 500 Target’s from magnum targets. Good prices with free shipping.

I've always used just whatever kind of steel plate I could scrounge up, hung off a horizontal member from chains. Why the need for some special type of steel, other than it might last longer?

20. Default

Here is a simple stand I built.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

21. Default

We built a 1000 yard range at a friend's property. AR 500 steel is a must, as has been said, but you also will still want to moderate what you shoot it with at closer distances. I punched a nifty little 7mm hole in one of our plates checking zero at 100 yards the first time out. We used chains at first, then switched to pieces of conveyor belt, those held up pretty well, but after a while they wore out as well. We've had the best luck using lengths of 3" fire hose. I used a torch to burn two holes in the targets then rolled the hose around a piece of 1" bar stock, then bolted them to the targets. They've held up for almost 3 years with that set up.