Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Overwhelming amount of camcorders. Is more $$$ really better?

Cashnichols

Alright guys, so I'm looking at getting into serious filming to eventually edit and put on YouTube. I've been studying for a couple days and the amount of camcorders out there is crazy! The most I'm looking to spend is around 2000, and for this I was looking at the cannon xa30, but that's a lot to spend on a camera and why I'm really wondering is is it really worth spending that much on that camera? Is there really that big of a difference from something like the Panasonic hc v770 that has full HD 1080p? I'm not really smart with all this stuff but I'm learning, and just looking for some of your guys opinions. Thanks in advance!

I bought this Sony FDR AX53 a couple months ago. I've bought $50K in cameras over the years and I think this one is the best value I've ever found, when value is considered the intersection of useful features and price. I am super impressed with this came for outdoor filming. Gonna get a ton of use out of it this season.

Amazon link here is $848 - https://amzn.to/2GYo8R1

Sony AC53.jpg

Odds are you don't need the 4K, which will save a lot of money and a lot of headaches when editing. If that is the case, these two are good options.

HDRCX455- https://amzn.to/2uM7nDQ

HDRCX675- https://amzn.to/2GAzTxG

Awesome, thanks randy! I'll be checking those out for sure. I actually just watched your guys videos on what camera gear to get. Very helpful.

Last edited:
I tell you my biggest fight with these cameras is the auto focus...a limb or weed 10 yards from you can mess up the clarity of what your really trying to focus on

I tell you my biggest fight with these cameras is the auto focus...a limb or weed 10 yards from you can mess up the clarity of what your really trying to focus on

A very common problem. The new Sony AX53 solves that problem. Push the master button and it overrides the focus issue and allows you to use a focus ring for manual focus while leaving every other setting on auto.

I use the small Sony camcorder and absolutely love it. The zoom and focus are excellent and it comes with me on every hunt. I bought it in 2011 and I can't wait to upgrade to a newer model- it is time. Thanks for the Amazon links Big Fin.

This is really helpful information Big Fin. I've been looking into getting a good quality camera to capture hunts as well as some family events.

A very common problem. The new Sony AX53 solves that problem. Push the master button and it overrides the focus issue and allows you to use a focus ring for manual focus while leaving every other setting on auto.

Now that's a huge improvement!

Alright guys, so I'm looking at getting into serious filming to eventually edit and put on YouTube. I've been studying for a couple days and the amount of camcorders out there is crazy! The most I'm looking to spend is around 2000, and for this I was looking at the cannon xa30, but that's a lot to spend on a camera and why I'm really wondering is is it really worth spending that much on that camera? Is there really that big of a difference from something like the Panasonic hc v770 that has full HD 1080p? I'm not really smart with all this stuff but I'm learning, and just looking for some of your guys opinions. Thanks in advance!

One more point. I think that I remember this correctly (maybe not). If you put these on YouTube, you may have to re-format them to a smaller size. This can at times decrease the video quality in the end.

Here is a buck from last fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIkEq7kQ9Us Notice that early in the video he goes behind some branches yet the deer stays in focus.

Here are some turkey: The very end gives close up detail (like I stated: seems as though some "detail" is lost through YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqY-SQCWOg

Salmon fishing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSNGSH4MSEo

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
A friend and I have been trying to get better at filming and have upgraded equipment in the past year. Both of us were using basic camcorders and I had a Canon T5i as well as each having a couple GoPros and a Contour Roam

He got a Sony CX900, which doesn't have 4k but i think has a bigger sensor and t/f better low light capability. Got a Shotgun mic but Sony is a pain because they make you get a Sony mic to use their "multi-shoe". His camera was $1000.

I decided to go dSLR and just got a Sony A7iii to do better photos and video. I was looking into the a6500 but was told to wait because something new was coming out. The camera I got is a blend of their photo (a7R) and video (a7s) models. The body of my camera was $2000.

Regardless of how much you spend on a camera, poor audio will ruin your footage. I used to film for part of making my living and have been filming hunts since the late 90's, a lot has change since then. Quality equipment prices have came way down. You need to decide how good is good enough, a lot of camera guys run 2 if not three cameras to get the needed shots. The smaller handi cam style has some great benefits, but they lack some of the features of the larger cameras.

Low light is another area to consider, some cameras do it better, that is another area technology is improving. This is overcome by finding a camera with the largest sensor you can, and as a rule of thumb, the larger the lens it will let more light in, but sensor size is more important.

Video quality 4K vs 1080, 4K will require a better computer to edit the footage in due to the amount of Ram you will need, But the larger video file allows you to crop your footage with out loosing much quality. 1080 is all you really need though.

Zoom, here in the midwest I won't use anything less then 20x optical, out west I want more then that in most situations.

This is how I would focus my search:
1. Audio options
2. Manual focus
3. Zoom (optical)
4. 4K vs 1080

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc