Bonus Point Game

EastCoastnAZ

Moved to AZ a couple years back and quickly realized I wouldnt be able to hunt AZ every year, or even every few years depending. So I started applying out of state(CO, Wy, UT, NM).

For the guys that play the point game in multiple states, who do you hunt with? The guy I have met so far only have interested in hunting AZ, where I want to hunt somewhere every Sept.

I tend to hunt solo. Hunting for me is not much of a social event. Once in a while hunt with a family member. A few times have had a guide or buddy on the hunt. Is quite difficult to pull two primo tags in same unit in same year as non-residents so that is a hurdle unless hunting with OTC or leftover tags.

If think you will ever move from AZ but plan to return to hunt then buy the lifetime hunting license now. You will pay non-resident fees if move out of state but will still be pulling tags from the resident tag bucket which is much, much bigger.

If you were to add more states then would look at NV (easy drive from AZ) then MT. ID is an option if looking to draw a moose, goat or sheep tag. Best odds in West but can only apply for one of those per year and have to front the money and buy a hunting license. Compared to WY sheep and moose point costs, ID is a bargain these days to chase a moose or sheep tag.

I have one main pard I do a big chunk of my western of my hunting with. He's in ID and I'm in IN. We try to do at least one hunt per year together. I have been on hunts with a few other folks as they come up, but he's really the only person I plan hunts with. I also go solo if it works out that way. Here at home I'm by myself or with my kids, usually the latter. Because of their schedule I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like so when I do get some time I try my darndest to take one of them with me.

With my limited understanding, it appears that one could hunt in AZ every year if they so choose. May not always be the unit/species you want, but there doesn't seem to be a shortage of certain types of opportunity. I know I had no problem picking up a leftover HAM javelina tag a few years back.

I tend to hunt solo but I will bring friends or soon to be new friends that have interest in going and share a similar ethic as myself. Always interested in teaming up with anyone from anywhere as long as they are willing to put in the effort. Most of the time it also requires them to be willing to hunt with archery equipment because that's the only thing I have any real interest in for about 80-90% of my hunts.

It can definitely be tough to make things work with a hunting partner. Finding someone with the same or similar number of points, wanting to do similar styles of hunts, having the same dates off, willingness to hunt hard, a good attitude, and on and on is tough. I don't mind going solo for deer or antelope at all. That isn't too big of a deal packing one out once you shoot one. I'll probably be going solo for elk this year though and I will definitely have to be careful about where I (hopefully) shoot one. A guy has to be realistic with packing out an elk.

I definitely think you are better off solo than with somebody who doesn't want to hunt hard. I did that on an elk hunt in CO and while he was a super good guy and fun to hang out with, he was more of a road hunter and the trip was mostly a waste of time.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been coming to the realization that I will primarily hunt solo. Ive got a buddy that is interested in out of state hunts(OTC CO or ID), which seems to be a good option, but I know it will be hard to match up 100% of out of state hunts.

It is very difficult to find one hunting partner that can do it all. I have heard of the mythical creature, but neve seen it. I have had many people drop out last minute on hunts, so now I plan all my hunts so that I can do them solo, and if others want to be added then its not a difficult adjustment. I'd prefer to hunt with partner, but time/money/kids/wives keep guys away. The last hunt I had planned was a caribou in AK trip. Four guys said they were in, but 3 months before the trip they all dropped out with a couple weeks of each other. I had already taken the time off, so I was left with a week of nothing. After that I changed my approach. I would rather hunt alone than not at all.

I tend to hunt solo. Hunting for me is not much of a social event. Once in a while hunt with a family member. A few times have had a guide or buddy on the hunt. Is quite difficult to pull two primo tags in same unit in same year as non-residents so that is a hurdle unless hunting with OTC or leftover tags.

If think you will ever move from AZ but plan to return to hunt then buy the lifetime hunting license now. You will pay non-resident fees if move out of state but will still be pulling tags from the resident tag bucket which is much, much bigger.

If you were to add more states then would look at NV (easy drive from AZ) then MT. ID is an option if looking to draw a moose, goat or sheep tag. Best odds in West but can only apply for one of those per year and have to front the money and buy a hunting license. Compared to WY sheep and moose point costs, ID is a bargain these days to chase a moose or sheep tag.

I havent considered NV because I figured I was to far behind on points and point creep to draw a hunt. I will add MT though.

Currently focused on Deer and Elk hunts. Ive been applying for everything in AZ and UT, but Elk and deer everywhere else.

I'd post different places (Hunt Talk, Facebook groups, etc) looking for hunting partners if you don't want to hunt solo or go to some of the local hunting networking events.

You can deer with an OTC archery tag every year in AZ. You can draw deer every year or two as well if you aren't looking at top GMU's. Randy has been on record many times that he draws elk in AZ every 5-7 years and that is as a non-resident (limit 10% of tags). You can get a javelina tag every year.

By all means look at other states but don't miss the opportunity in AZ as a resident. CO OTC is a great option for years you don't get an AZ elk tag. Haven't researched closely enough yet but I think WY is your option for pronghorn.

You can deer with an OTC archery tag every year in AZ. You can draw deer every year or two as well if you aren't looking at top GMU's. Randy has been on record many times that he draws elk in AZ every 5-7 years and that is as a non-resident (limit 10% of tags). You can get a javelina tag every year.

By all means look at other states but don't miss the opportunity in AZ as a resident. CO OTC is a great option for years you don't get an AZ elk tag. Haven't researched closely enough yet but I think WY is your option for pronghorn.

In my original post, I should have said I cant "elk" hunt in AZ every year. Ideally, I want to do a Sept rut hunt every year. For AZ, i have 4 points going into the 2019 draw, but really want to draw a AZ rut hunt for a mid tier unit, which is feasible. I could draw a 100% late archery or late rifle tag, but figure I can always get an OTC rifle tag in CO, of a general tag in MT.

AZ does have great OTC deer, bear and javilina opportunity.

Definitely want to do a WY pronghorn hunt, just need to plan it out, maybe 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back