Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mule deer hunting gmu 15 colorado

Heading to Colorado this fall to mule deer hunt gmu 15. Had one preference point so hopefully I'll draw this license. Going out there primarily for elk but with the hopes of seeing some mule deer as well. Going around the yampa area in gmu 15 for second season. Has anyone hunted near here and if so, what is the mule deer population like or if you had any luck?

No deer in 15. May need to check out another unit... :p

All jokes aside, the one time I have hunted unit 15 we saw quite a few does and young spikes. Shooter bucks were much harder to come by and ended up eating tag soup. We were hunting south of Yampa, so I can't speak directly to your area. Which tag did you apply for?

No deer in 15. May need to check out another unit... :p

All jokes aside, the one time I have hunted unit 15 we saw quite a few does and young spikes. Shooter bucks were much harder to come by and ended up eating tag soup. We were hunting south of Yampa, so I can't speak directly to your area. Which tag did you apply for?

I applied for gmu 15 second season. Hopefully it pans out. I'd like to see a decent 4x4. I don't know how bad the winter was but the hopefully it wasn't too bad.

I applied for gmu 15 second season. Hopefully it pans out. I'd like to see a decent 4x4. I don't know how bad the winter was but the hopefully it wasn't too bad.

If we're lucky, we'll both be hunting the same week this year. I believe a decent 4x4 should be obtainable. Last year I saw a guy hauling out a nice 4x4 the Saturday after 2nd season opener. His older brother just never showed up in range. The winter has been pretty mild from what I've heard. I haven't talked to the local biologist yet though.

If we're lucky, we'll both be hunting the same week this year. I believe a decent 4x4 should be obtainable. Last year I saw a guy hauling out a nice 4x4 the Saturday after 2nd season opener. His older brother just never showed up in range. The winter has been pretty mild from what I've heard. I haven't talked to the local biologist yet though.

I'd like to contact a biologist and see how the herds looking for the area. I'm excited to get out there!! Hopefully I at least see some deer

I've hunted 15 and 27 for archery elk. I have not been in the part of 15 that you're referencing though. I'm willing to share what I know via PM - thanks.

Interested in an update on how the hunting was. Let us hear it
The four guys that went all tagged out on mule deer. Hunted 7 days and tagged mine on the 4th, It's a nice 150" class mule deer. Hunting was hard and one of our guys didn't see a buck until the last evening on the last day of the hunt. Overall, it was a really good hunt though!

Awesome! Thanks for the update. Planning my first solo western hunt and unit 15 is on my short list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back