New Hunter - Budget Rifle Set Ups

Weberado

After finally deciding to start hunting Elk and Mule Deer this year I was bit overwhelmed by everything I need to get started for backpack style hunting at first but after doing lots of research / reading other posts on here and watching for sales I picked up two different rifles and two scopes to test out to see what I liked best. I spent the past few weeks put them though the paces on the range so Im sharing my results for anyone else who wants a budget set up or thought you had to spend $2000 for a rifle and glass like I did before.

I ended but buying a Kimber M84 Hunter in 308 for $595 on sale and a Howa 1500 Kuiu in 7mm-08 for $399 on sale. For scopes I went with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 I got on sale for $160 and a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 I got on sale for $360. So total cost for each is $755 for Kimber Hunter / Nikon and $760 for the Howa / Vortex so basically equal cost wise. The reason I put the Nikon on the Hunter was I went for a budget light weight set up - total weight is 6.4lbs (5.4lbs for the rifle and 1lb for the scope) vs 9lbs unloaded for the Howa (7.8lbs for the rifle and 1.2 for the scope). I must say the light weight of the Kimber Hunter is pretty astounding, so much so I wasnt sure how it would feel shooting it. The Howa felt more like a traditional hunting rifle in my hands but still light enough that carrying it up and down mountains didnt make me cringe. Surprisingly I didnt really notice the Kimber taking much time to get used to shooting being how light it is.

Next comes performance. So after going though a few different types of ammo I was getting consistent Sub MOA (Yay the guarantees were right) on both with a few types of Ammo - Nosler Trophy, Barnes VVTX and Federal Premium. Both seem to like the Barnes just a tad more - almost down to .5 MOA. As for scopes, I really am a fan of the Nikon BDC when used with the app - really makes it easy to dial in quickly once you have your desired range and I had it basically memorized pretty fast so I didnt even need to check the app after a bit. The vortex takes a bit more practice to get used to getting my distances down but is more traditional if that is what you like.

So to sum it up, I now have two rifles for under $800 each that shoot straight and have decent optics. I can see my self taking the Kimber on trips Ill be putting in a lot of miles on purely one the weight factor and the Howa on days I wont be or just to be in the truck as a back up. Im sure as time goes on Ill pick a favorite and maybe even switch the scopes around but if weight is not a factor to you (Im always looking to shed weight where ever I can) either one of these are more than sufficient IMO to get someone new out hunting and be successful with - plus have some $ left over for other expensive gear like good boots or backpack.

Last edited:
Those Howas are a great value... its too bad they're so heavy! I think if they found a way to lighten them up a bit(without it costing an arm and a leg, looking at you Howa Alpine) they'd end up having more of a market share than they already do.

After finally deciding to start hunting Elk and Mule Deer this year I was bit overwhelmed by everything I need to get started for backpack style hunting at first but after doing lots of research / reading other posts on here and watching for sales I picked up two different rifles and two scopes to test out to see what I liked best. I spent the past few weeks put them though the paces on the range so Im sharing my results for anyone else who wants a budget set up or thought you had to spend $2000 for a rifle and glass like I did before.

I ended but buying a Kimber M84 Hunter in 308 for $595 on sale and a Howa 1500 Kuiu in 7mm-08 for $399 on sale. For scopes I went with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 I got on sale for $160 and a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 I got on sale for $360. So total cost for each is $755 for Kimber Hunter / Nikon and $760 for the Howa / Vortex so basically equal cost wise. The reason I put the Nikon on the Hunter was I went for a budget light weight set up - total weight is 6.4lbs (5.4lbs for the rifle and 1lb for the scope) vs 9lbs unloaded for the Howa (7.8lbs for the rifle and 1.2 for the scope). I must say the light weight of the Kimber Hunter is pretty astounding, so much so I wasnt sure how it would feel shooting it. The Howa felt more like I was used to as a traditional hunting rifle in my hands but still light enough to lug around mountains. But surprisingly I didnt really notice the Kimber taking much time to get used to.

Next comes performance. So after going though a few different types of ammo I was getting consistent Sub MOA (Yay the guarantees were right) on both with a few types of Ammo - Nosler Trophy, Barnes VVTX and Federal Premium. Both seem to like the Barnes just a tad more - almost down to .5 MOA. As for scopes, I really am a fan of the Nikon BDC when used with the app - really makes it easy to dial in quickly once you have your desired range and I has it basically memorized by the end so I didnt even need the app. The vortex takes a bit more practice to get used to getting my distances down but is more traditional if that is what you like.

So to sum it up, I now have two rifles for under $800 each that shoot straight and have decent optics. I can see my self taking the Kimber on trips Ill be putting in a lot of miles on purely one the weight factor and the Howa on days I wont be or just to be in the truck as a back up. Im sure as time goes on Ill pick a favorite and maybe even switch the scopes around but if weight is not a factor to you (Im always looking to shed weight where ever I can) either one of these are more than sufficient IMO to get someone new out hunting and be successful with - plus have some $ left over for other expensive gear like good boots or backpack.

Did you weight the Howa yourself? That's quite a bit heavier than the listed weight, I believe. Doesn't that rifle use the same barreled action as the Alpine Mountain Rifle?

Those Howas are a great value... its too bad they're so heavy! I think if they found a way to lighten them up a bit(without it costing an arm and a leg, looking at you Howa Alpine) they'd end up having more of a market share than they already do.

Agreed!!! I was pretty disappointed when I found out the Mountain Lights were discontinued but then I also saw the listing price and was much less disappointed.

@Dougfirtree - yea came in at 7.8lbs - exactly what the specs say. https://www.legacysports.com/wp-content/uploads/LSI_Catalog2018_2017-12-13a-lowres.pdf#page=17. Yes I believe they all use the same 1500 barreled action but I cant tell since they dont list the Alpine Mountain Light anymore.

If anyone has a replacement stock recommendation on the Howa (or an extra Alpine lying around ..... Randy??) they like thats lighter id be all ears but as it is Im still a fan regardless. Havent seen one out there thats not $$$$ which is what I wanted to avoid. The few extra pounds do take recoil like a dream though.

Last edited:
People think you have to spend a lot of money to be able to hunt. My wife has a Ruger American .308 that shoots great with Federal Fusion ammo. I have two Savage Axis rifles (25-06 and .308) that shoot great with Federal Fusions. My Howa 1500 (30-06) I picked up on sale and it shoots sub-moa with Nosler hand loads. All rifles were under $500 and perform beautifully. I'm going to be hand loading for my other calibers soon, so I expect even better performance. I think it's funny to go to the range for a competition and out shoot guys with $1500 rifles. A lot of the performance of the rifle is the shooter and building confidence in the fundamentals and trigger time behind the rifle. The entry priced 'budget' rifles may not be pretty or have the best stocks or triggers, but I feel performance outweighs aesthetics.

Did you weight the Howa yourself? That's quite a bit heavier than the listed weight, I believe. Doesn't that rifle use the same barreled action as the Alpine Mountain Rifle?

there are two Kuiu rifles. a 7lb lightweight model with 20" #1 contour barrel, only in short action calibers (which the Alpine Mt rifle uses) and the standard version that is 7.8lbs with 22" #2 contour barrel for long action or 24" for magnum calibers that is 8lbs

there are two Kuiu rifles. a 7lb lightweight model with 20" #1 contour barrel, only in short action calibers (which the Alpine Mt rifle uses) and the standard version that is 7.8lbs with 22" #2 contour barrel for long action or 24" for magnum calibers that is 8lbs

Ah, thanks! That explains it. I'd love to have one of those lightweights. Wish the deal they have at Sportsman's warehouse applied elsewhere.

People think you have to spend a lot of money to be able to hunt. My wife has a Ruger American .308 that shoots great with Federal Fusion ammo. I have two Savage Axis rifles (25-06 and .308) that shoot great with Federal Fusions. My Howa 1500 (30-06) I picked up on sale and it shoots sub-moa with Nosler hand loads. All rifles were under $500 and perform beautifully. I'm going to be hand loading for my other calibers soon, so I expect even better performance. I think it's funny to go to the range for a competition and out shoot guys with $1500 rifles. A lot of the performance of the rifle is the shooter and building confidence in the fundamentals and trigger time behind the rifle. The entry priced 'budget' rifles may not be pretty or have the best stocks or triggers, but I feel performance outweighs aesthetics.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Ruger American lately as a budget rifle.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Ruger American lately as a budget rifle.

I liked my wife's Ruger so much I sold my Savage 30-06 and got a Ruger 30-06. When my hunt came up with Randy I sold the Ruger and got my Howa. But, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Ruger if the right deal came up.

Back