Yeti GOBOX Collection

Oregon Spring Bear 2018

Joe Hulburt

Any other Hunt Talkers hunting bears in Oregon this Spring?

I decided to try and kill a bear with a muzzleloader this Spring. I've never hunted with one before but want to become proficent with one to expand some hunting opportunities. Headed out last evening for my first ever muzzleloader hunt and ran into a solid boar right out of the gates. Things didn't work out but it was a great start to one of my favorite hunts every year.

If your after them lets hear some bear hunting stories!

I drew hood unit as a 3rd choice,,still snow up not very high,,gonna wait a bit for more green up,sounds like your already into them down at the coast.has the skunk cabage bloomed yet down there?

I drew hood unit as a 3rd choice,,still snow up not very high,,gonna wait a bit for more green up,sounds like your already into them down at the coast.has the skunk cabage bloomed yet down there?
Skunk cabbage is blooming and so are the salmonberries. Not much green grass yet....

Good luck Joe, I'll be watching for pictures :). I have a Hood tag this year, but just bought some new property, so time will be a little tighter than usual. I have a busy fall schedule this year!

Still have yet to see bear #2 but things are looking promising weather wise and schedule wise for me. I checked a trail cam I set up to try and get a picture of the chocolate boar I saw on my first hunt and it looks like his offspring are hanging out there now. I doubt he is still in the area but I'll keep checking back. I would love to kill a chocolate coastal bear. So far all mine have been jet black except one that came from this spot in 2010 and he had just a shade of brown in his hide.

Image 4-26-18 at 8.59 PM.jpg

I will be checking this thread from time to time expecting to see another monster Oregon bear and Joe smiling behind it! Good luck!

went looking on Saturday,but nothing yet,,skunk cabbage will be a couple more weeks yet in hood unit.got some workout shoveling snow from my rig when I high centered it though

I came very close last night and again tonight. If it wasn't for trying to self film my first muzzleloader hunt I would be done. Both bears were mature boars and neither really ever stepped clear out into the open for camera. Tonights bear was a dandy too! Frustrating but fun filming!

2018042595.jpg!

Connected with this fella in late April. First time hunting spring bear in OR, but the Applegate unit seems to hold a good amount of critters. BTW OR is a steal of a deal for non resident predator hunting, 3 bear and 2 lion tags and licence for <$300. Try that in CA..

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back