Caribou Gear

Colorado Hunter's Ed Requirement

AtenJones

Filling out my application for preference points in Colorado (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and it's asking for my education number. The only options I'm able to select are "Firearm's Certified" or "Test 50". Do I select "Firearm's Certified" and enter my Ohio number? That seems weird, so I wanted to check.

Thanks!

Yes the firearm certification is the hunter certification. In my experience, Colorado doesn't really look into unless you get checked in the field where you are required to carry proof of certification.

If you plan on hunting out there a lot stop by a DOW office and have them verify your hunter ed and they will put it in the system then you don't have to worry about having it with you on future hunts.

If you plan on hunting out there a lot stop by a DOW office and have them verify your hunter ed and they will put it in the system then you don't have to worry about having it with you on future hunts.

^This.

And my daughter was checked before I had her's in the system. Depending on which warden you get, they will check.

If you are purchasing an OTC tag from a CO vendor they will ask for your EdCert card....even if you have another species tag in your pocket with the Hunt Ed cert # on it. Best to keep it with you.

Quick question for you guy's. I'm taking my dad to Colorado for a elk hunt next year and he doesn't have a hunter safety card ( in Oklahoma if you where born before a certain year you are grandfathered in and don't need one). What's required to insure he is legal.

Colorado requires that hunters born on or after January 1, 1949, must complete a course approved by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife and IHEA-USA.

If you are over 50 you can take an online test and don't have to go to a class.

Colorado requires that hunters born on or after January 1, 1949, must complete a course approved by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife and IHEA-USA.

Not that it would pertain to your dad but you can also get an "apprentice waiver" for a year. So if your dad was 48 and didn't want to deal with doing a hunters ed you could just do that... only works one time though.

Quick question for you guy's. I'm taking my dad to Colorado for a elk hunt next year and he doesn't have a hunter safety card ( in Oklahoma if you where born before a certain year you are grandfathered in and don't need one). What's required to insure he is legal.

Colorado has crash courses for non residents that fulfill the hunter ed requirement, but it's only good for that license year. They happen near the rifle seasons.

Thanks I'll have him take the online test the old man is well over 50 he'll be 67 this May. Unfortunately he was born in 51 so just misses the 49 cut off.

Last edited:
Back