PEAX Equipment

Interchangeable powder charge for different bullets of same mass?

smalls

Complete reloading neophyte question time.

If I am reloading for a caliber but I can't find load data for the exact combination of components I am using, can I choose the data for a bullet of the same mass and use that for load development?

For example, I want to load 100 grain TSX for my 25-06, but I can't find load data for that caliber/bullet with RL23 anywhere. However, Alliant has load data for several other 100 gr bullets and RL23. Should I be safe to start out with the Alliant standard of Max minus 10% for another 25-06/RL23/100 gr bullet to start my load development and look for pressure signs?

Thanks... smalls

I say yes, but read the precautions on Barnes website. Monometal bullets are a bit different. It'd also be worth a phone call/email to Barnes. I bet they have some data they'd share that's not currently on the website.

I've sent emails to both Barnes and Alliant about the combination and am waiting for their recommendations.

That makes sense in the difference between jacketed projectiles and solids. I was more or less trying to get an idea in the interchangeability as there seems to be an almost limitless number of combinations of components. And if you read the interwebs, it doesn't seem any two shooters are using the same combination. When I bought my "reloading kit" a month ago I thought that I'd made the big investment, little did I know what the ongoing expense of dies/powder/bullets/brass/tools, etc. was going to be. But, many small purchases seems much more palatable than single large ones so that pain is pretty mild.

I just need it to warm up and melt off my range so I can get busy with load development.

If you can't find information on that combination it's probably because it's not a good idea. Using powders and load recommendations from the manufacturer of the bullet is the best way to ensure safe loads. Bullets of the same weight can have very dissimilar features and dimensions which can have a big effect on cartridge pressures. Leave experimenting with recipes for later, after you've gotten more experience, there are a lot of variables that you need to understand if you want to start venturing out of the mainstream. One of the problems that you'll have with RL23 is that it will fill the case up pretty quickly as compared to the powders that are more commonly recommended (like RL19, RL22, IMR 4831, etc.). Also, RL23 produces higher pressures for slightly longer time than these other powders which means that the barrel will experience higher stresses further down the bore than is normal. You can probably use it but I wouldn't push it to more than 56 grains, if you can't find a powder charge that gives you the velocities and accuracy that you are looking for after reaching 56 grains then I'd quit and find another powder.

FWIW, the mono metal bullets are longer than a cup and core bullet of the same weight because of the lower density of copper vs lead. As such, you can run into case capacity issues. I’ve always had very good luck using the recommended powders in the Barnes data.

I have done some mixing and matching, but I would hold off on that until you develop more experience. I’ve been doing it for many years, and I was still a little jittery. It worked fine in the end.

All that said, I would definitely wait for an answer from Barnes.

I got an email back from a rep a Barnes.

They suggested using the data for lead core bullets and working up from minimum charge in 2% increments.

No!
A 100gr monolithic bullet is not the same as a 100gr lead core bullet!

I can run your specs through Quick Load for you, need barrel length.

And please let me know how the RL23 works out for you.

No!

I second this!

I do if the bullet construction is very similar like both bullets are copper jacketed lead core (an example might be Hornady ELD-X and Nosler BT or Nosler AB). But when the construction of the bullet is vastly different (Mono vs Lead Core), then you have a major change in one of the base parameters of the load. SO NO!

I applaud you in seeking more information to your particular combination as you are doing, that is wise.

Good Luck and Be Safe,

Also Barnes recommends a 0.050" off the lands jump.
This gets the bullet moving to help engrave the rifling.
I would also recommend a crimp.
Not to hold the bullet in the casing during recoil, but to ensure the powder charge igniting is what is pushing the bullet forward upon firing. Not the primer igniting and pushing the bullet forward.

Not to hold the bullet in the casing during recoil, but to ensure the powder charge igniting is what is pushing the bullet forward upon firing. Not the primer igniting and pushing the bullet forward.

Huh? mtmuley

How is it the primer ignites and pushes the bullet?

Do you have a chrono?

Nope, no chrono for me. I just purchased a basic reloading setup and am pretty primitive so far. This hobby is starting to turn into death by a thousand cuts as a guy assembles the components and gear beyond the "starter kit".

I learned a lesson of what not to do over the weekend as I'd run up my first batch of OYO ammunition. I had set my seating die too far down and consequently pushed back the shoulders on about 15 cases. I didn't notice right away but soon saw there there was a "donut" on the top end of the shoulder taper where it transitions to the neck. So, last night I perfected the art of pulling bullets.

I have not shot any of the RL23 yet as we've still got a bunch of snow on the range here. It'll be a couple more weeks before we are melted off and dried out enough to get out there.

No!

I can run your specs through Quick Load for you, need barrel length.

And please let me know how the RL23 works out for you.

There it is! And you should take him up on this.

I'm sure the advice you got from Barnes is good, but there is definitely a difference between monometal bullets and lead bullets. If you have someone offering to punch it into Quick Loads, you'll get good, specific info.

Last edited:
Back