Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold scopes quality

pseshooter300

Have any of you had any issues with leupold scopes I read on some other sites mostly on the fire that a lot of people are having issues with tracking and going back to zero. I have quite a few leupolds and have only had to send one back due to parallax. Just wondering have any of you really played with the cds like turning turrets and not going back to zero. Thanks

If you spend a lot of time on the couch yelling at fox news, then I guess the fire would be the perfect place to go for scope reviews.

I usually stay out of these discussions when it comes to any group whose products we use, but some of these threads end up repeating a lot of "he said, she said" comments from the keyboard cowboys on certain forums. There are a few folks on 24CF that are self-proclaimed Leupold haters. They make no bones about their hatred for Leupold.

Having a group of haters is not unique to Leupold or 24CF. I have noticed that every brand of any product develops a small core of "haters" who would be unpleased no matter the situation. Just part of the landscape when people are passionate about the product they use. Kind of like the Ford v. Chevy arguments that cause fist fights down at the local pub.

I would guess I've had more Leupold scopes than 99.9% of folks in the hunting and shooting world. I've never had a single problem, never had a single tracking issue; nothing but performance that is far beyond my talent.

I also suspect I have put more CDS systems through the trials and have talked with more CDS users than 99.9% of hunters and shooters. I've never had a tracking issue and have never personally met anyone who could show me a tracking issue. Not saying it couldn't happen, but given my experience and having visited the factory many times to see the testing of their products and competitor products, I'm extremely confident in the products they put in the hands of hunters and shooters.

Good luck with your decision.

I have never used a Leupold scope with the CDS option. That being said I have used and owned nothing but Leupold Gold Ring scopes on all of my hunting rifles to include my newest edition which is a 2-7x rimfire scope I just put on a new CZ .22 LR I purchased. I have never ever had any failure on any of my scopes, ever!

I also have a pair of Leupold Gold Ring compact binoculars that have served me very well and are great binoculars. Zero problems! I did step on them once on a hard surface which ended up knocking the barrels on the binoculars out of alignment. "One eye fishing and the other baiting the hook!" I sent them in and told them of my clumsiness. They fixed them and went completely through them and cleaned them. Sent back to me in short order NO CHARGE even though it was completely my fault!

I have a 20x fixed power Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope. Have used it for years. No issues at all............ever!

Just purchased a Gold Ring compact 15-30x50mm spotting scope last fall. Has worked very well. Great clear glass, compact, light weight, and an awesome little scope. Works perfectly for me.

I have Leupold on all of my rifles. Never had an issue with a scope but none of them have the CDS dials. I shoot at a local range where some competition guys shoot. The last guy I talked to about Leupold verses brand X he indicated Leupold never changed zero but brand X would occasionally. He can't live with that as a competitive shooter. He uses Leupold. On the other hand I suspect all brands might have a small percentage of problems. I like my odds with Leupold.

I had one, sent back twice, and I'll never own another Leupold scope.

Love their rangefinder though.
I think it boils down to your initial experience.

Last edited:
My ONLY "nice" scope is a Leupold 3.5 - 10 x 40 VX3i and I use the CDS. I haven't used it a LOT, but all of the animals that I have shot have been between 150, and 285 yards, and every time I pulled the trigger, the bullet went exactly where I aimed.

No problems re: tracking consistency w/CDS or otherwise....and I've been using em since before I could pronounce or spell Leupold.

Leupold resale values suggest there are many very happy Leupy customers out there.

If'n I could only find a used FX-2 or FX-3 in 6x with the LR duplex I'd be a happy camper.

Care to share which models

I have a VX 2 and a VX 3 that won’t track right.

I also have 2 FXII 6x scopes. One will track perfect, the other one is a PITA to zero. It’s not a big deal because I don’t adjust the turrets on that one in the field.

As a side note, a CDS dial that came for my VX 3 doesn’t fit right and has a gap between the bottom of the turret and the rubber seal.

I have 3 mark 4's and those things seem to work great. It always freaks people out to see me spinning those turrets :). I do feel like the models I have are a little more industrial grade than others. When I called them to ask if they would be good for what I was doing the comment was "they are being thrown out of helicopters right now in Afghanistan" I'm pretty sure they'll hold up for your hunting". So far he was right. My poor 7wsm has taken a couple tumbles in the rocks on sheep hunts and last years goat hunt that I thought for sure would of messed it up, but it hasn't. I can't speak for the CDS unfortunately.

If you spend a lot of time on the couch yelling at fox news, then I guess the fire would be the perfect place to go for scope reviews.

Good stuff!

I own several Leupold scopes. I’ve added M1 turrets to a few with good customer service from L. I dropped my rifle and bent the occular eyepiece housing two years ago. I told L what happened and they still fixed it for free. I continue to buy Leupold rifle scopes.

I had a VX5 CDS that wouldn’t adjust until a shot was fired or you tapped on the turret with a piece of brass. Sent it back to Leupold and they claimed to rework the erector.

I’m not a Leupold hater but I sold it as soon as it got back and don’t see any Leupold purchases in my future. It’s too bad because that scope was exactly what I wanted.

I try not to use anything else. Their warranty is second to none of a problem were to arise.

I grabbed a used VX3 2.5x8 on Ebay for less than half of new price. Used it for a year, found it was not adjusting correctly, sent it in. Perfectly repaired for no charge, and now my favorite glass. I have 0 experience w CDS, just use the crosshair tapers for aiming beyond 200 yd zero. My next new optics purchase will be a made-in-USA Leupold. Love that company.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back