Chaining the front wheels

brnsvllyjohn

This is mentioned on another thread but I thought I would start a new thread about this subject. I don't have to chain the front often but when you have to you have to. A couple of years ago we were in a buddies Chevy 2500 and he got in a situation where we needed to chain the front. I had my chains in his truck since he didn't own any. His truck wasn't supposed to be able to use chains on the front. After a brief disagreement I added my chains to the front of his truck and we made it back down the mountain. We removed them as soon as possible since he was really nervous about having chains on the front. My new F250 has very little clearance on the front but I have already installed my chains on the front and driven a short distance on a gravel driveway to see how they worked. They seemed OK. Some of you have mentioned spacers. Should you install them on a newer F250? Mine is a 2017. I didn't need spacers on my older truck.

Better to add spacers than break something. I couldn't run chains on my Chevy 2500 because I added over sized tire. I would always just chain up the rear.

In the olden days ...
We would only chain the fronts, that is where the traction is on a PU.
That was back when you had to get out and "Turn in the hubs"
Newer front drives are wimpy and the added strain of chain is only opening your self for a LOTA troubles.
You will void your warranty on a Toyota if you do.
Room is only a small part of it now days.
I would say DON'T do it.
Maybe to get out of a ditch or creek but take them off ASAP.

Interesting coyote. The automatic hubs used to suck for reliability. They seem better now, but are they the weak link?

Old set up was straight gears and axles.
New set up is electronic clutches friction plates and computers.
I think the whole set up is the week point.
I personally know some guys that no longer can use there front wheels do to trying to feed cattle all day long with chains on the fronts.
I have herd you CAN get some heavy duty conversions that will hold up fine.
Or order it on 450 trucks .

Old set up was straight gears and axles.
New set up is electronic clutches friction plates and computers.
I think the whole set up is the week point.
I personally know some guys that no longer can use there front wheels do to trying to feed cattle all day long with chains on the fronts.
I have herd you CAN get some heavy duty conversions that will hold up fine.
Or order it on 450 trucks .

Can't say I've ever broken anything because of chains, but I did have to replace an actuator and was amazed at the amount of plastic I found.

IMO the moment trucks no longer had manually locking hubs was the moment the world started going to hell in a handbasket. Everything got sissy after that. This is just my opinion.

I think most trucks now will only allow the spider type of chains on the front.

Chain the fronts always. If you have 4 chains chain everything. If you need chains, do it right and keep them tight.

IMO the moment trucks no longer had manually locking hubs was the moment the world started going to hell in a handbasket. Everything got sissy after that. This is just my opinion.

Yup, when people who didn't really need a truck started buying them because they were cool it was the beginning of the end. They couldn't get out and maybe get their fancy cowboy boots muddy. They wanted their trucks to ride like a luxury car.
Give me a truck with straight front axles and leaf springs, manual hubs, manual gear driven transfer case, oh yea and old fashioned hand crank windows. Yes I'm old school.

Yup, when people who didn't really need a truck started buying them because they were cool it was the beginning of the end. They couldn't get out and maybe get their fancy cowboy boots muddy. They wanted their trucks to ride like a luxury car.
Give me a truck with straight front axles and leaf springs, manual hubs, manual gear driven transfer case, oh yea and old fashioned hand crank windows. Yes I'm old school.

The only truck i'm aware of still being made with a solid front axle is the ram 2500 power wagon.

Chain them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the time if this is needed, you shoulda turned around. Course 30 years of driving Montana mountains will teach you a thing or two about reading road conditions. mtmuley

Most of the time if this is needed, you shoulda turned around. Course 30 years of driving Montana mountains will teach you a thing or two about reading road conditions. mtmuley

Ditto.Years of chaining 2wd pu's , old Ford,GMC,& Dodge 4x4's with lockers,& rarely needed more than 2 on the back.
Never used them yet on my Tacoma(with an excellent shift on fly) & my F-150 offroad in NM . If I get stuck I was dumb.Never been stuck for more than a wait yet either.Sometimes wait til next day.But never stuck.

My corollary is the world went to hell when the stopped putting manual transmissions in convertibles.

Dodge 1500 RAM, I never use front chains unless I'm plowing snow on really bad ice. Always chain up the primary drive axle first, rear wheels on a rear wheel drive and front wheels on a front wheel drive. Never use a spacer unless you have no choice, buy a properly offset wheel instead.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back