Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Muzzleloader Bullets for Black Bear?

Joe Hulburt

I decided to use a muzzleloader for my Spring bear hunt this year to change things up a little. Recently purchased a 50 cal CVA Optima V2. So far I have been shooting 295 grain Power Belts with good accuracy. Just looking at them I can't imagine them not being adequate for a bear but I've been told to go with 420 grain No Excuse all lead bullets for better penetration by one person and 275 TC Maxi Hunters by another. Seems like 420's would have a lot more arc?

Anybody have experience with blackpowder black bears? What bullets do you use?

I shoot 290Gr barnes tmz out of my accura v2. Havent used them on bear but they performed perfectly on a bull elk last year. 200yds is as far of a shot I would take with 100gr blackhorn.

I shoot 290Gr barnes tmz out of my accura v2. Havent used them on bear but they performed perfectly on a bull elk last year. 200yds is as far of a shot I would take with 100gr blackhorn.

Perfect! If they work on a bull elk they would certainly work for a black bear. I'll check them out.

I shot mine with a 240g .45 cal Hornady XTP. It went about 20 feet and died. I’ve since switched to the XTP Mags and I picked up some FTX for this year to try. Any of them I wouldn’t hesitate to use on a Bear.

Wife and I use Barnes 250 Spit Fire TMA for elk. My guess is they should be fine for black bear.

I shot mine with a 240g .45 cal Hornady XTP. It went about 20 feet and died. I’ve since switched to the XTP Mags and I picked up some FTX for this year to try. Any of them I wouldn’t hesitate to use on a Bear.

I have had pretty good luck with these on deer other than one time but that was shooting 50 grains of powder with a kid shooting.

Don't really have anything to add, but just say I'm a bit disappointed that the 30-30 won't be used this spring. I always look forward to your posts/video's with it and a big dead critter.

That said, if the 30-30 gets lonely, I could come out and give it some exercise during bear season. ;) :D

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look them all over.

Don't really have anything to add, but just say I'm a bit disappointed that the 30-30 won't be used this spring. I always look forward to your posts/video's with it and a big dead critter.

That said, if the 30-30 gets lonely, I could come out and give it some exercise during bear season. ;) :D

It hard to leave the 30-30 home! I just wanted a new challenge this spring and I've never hunted with a muzzleloader so it's fun to learn something new.

Come on out and take the 30-30 for a walk if you want. :cool:

Those are pretty neat. Do you have any recovered bullets? It would be nice to see how they expand.

They REALLY expand...they are a jacketed ballistic tips that deliver all of their energy upon impact...the only thing that I've found are pieces of the bullet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back