Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2018 MT Turkey Thread

For the first time in my life I purchased a turkey tag. My position has always been I would rather be shed hunting or bear hunting or fishing than hunting turkeys.

This year though, I can shoot a turkey on an over the counter tag in my backyard, and since they seem to have moved into my neighborhood, that is exactly what I plan to do. Does any state offer the turkey hunting opportunities that Montana does? Pretty incredible.

Washington has some very good turkey hunting opportunities. OTC and multiple birds. Proud of the tags though.

Birds are hot in the Bitterroot. I was able to get two toms strutting to go at each other with just a few clucks. Weather should be great here, mid 50s and sun. Gonna have to fight the urge to take a nap. GL to everyone tomorrow, stay safe, and post up with your stories and pics!

@Phutch: grats on her first bird. Gonna get it mounted for her?

@Poke: how far back in were you in that you needed to pack it out?

Maybe only 1/2 mile in, but that was the easier turkey haul I've ever made. I'm never carrying one by hand or over my shoulder again.

Day two took some doing to get to the birds got up at 3am and drove to the area, little over 1/2 mile walk with 4 barbed wire fences and had to wade a river with all the gear and a kid. But got there early enough to put out a decoy. Had several big toms and 5 Jakes come in off the roost. I make my kids wear hearing protection....but the problem with your kid wearing hearing protection is that u cant tell them which red head to shoot when there's that many.lol no matter she's stoked and that's what matters

IMAG0103.jpg

Last edited:
Wow 406LIFE! I've called in a bobcat, and several coyotes, but seeing a wolf would get the heart rate going!

Called these boys on to the public land.. The new A400 didn't disappoint... Kicks choke... 3.5" Kent diamond shot did the trick...Avian X Jake and Feeder...DSC_0129 (2).jpg

I got to help Santa Claus on his first turkey with a quickie before work this morning. We worked this bird for 2.5 hrs yesterday morn. Had him at 50-60 yds all that time. There was a side channel to a river that I couldn't convince him to come across...fixed that issue this morning.

thumbnail_output.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back