Yeti GOBOX Collection

2018 MT Turkey Thread

Thanks to OnX Maps, I've been able to find ways to access public lands right next to the private land the turkeys seem to favor so much. :) I'll be trying to get my 3 allowed turkeys up here in Flathead county, 1 in the spring and 2 in the fall. I've always hunted them with a shotgun, but this year I might try it with my bow.

R 2 Turkey Area — valid in Missoula and Ravalli Counties. 299-02
license is also valid in Mineral County. Note: Deer & Elk HD 260 is
an archery only district.

A new wrinkle, IIRC.

Numbers seemed low in my region 5 areas, region 3 seems average... hunters safety field day for the 12 y/o on opening day, but we can get a hour in before it starts.. good flock roosts 100 yards from public a couple miles away.... we will be there....
IMG_4313.jpg

These two wouldn't stop gobbling.
Car door, whistles, goose honking,everything set them off. Five gobbles in a row at one point.IMG_20180401_161732_823.jpg

For the first time in my life I purchased a turkey tag. My position has always been I would rather be shed hunting or bear hunting or fishing than hunting turkeys.

This year though, I can shoot a turkey on an over the counter tag in my backyard, and since they seem to have moved into my neighborhood, that is exactly what I plan to do. Does any state offer the turkey hunting opportunities that Montana does? Pretty incredible.

Found this while on a walk today up by Great Falls, MT. Saw the culprit...one tom, 5 jakes and 22 hens. Just seem to be in winter mode for the most part. Gobbling a little bit on the roost in early a.m.

Turkey drags.jpg

Quackkillr-Nice wad of toms!

Seems like about every 5 yrs we have a cold wintery opener. I sure prefer the warm and sunny but Ive taken enough snow birds to know sun or snow they will be workable.

Last edited:
I listened to a tom (maybe 2) gobbling this morning at daybreak. He was on public ground near the road, so I expect to have more company than my two boys Saturday morning.

Man this weather has me stoked! Sat/Sun is gunna be fun when it melts an turns to mud

30697673_1825238907535752_3581738850663268352_.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back