PEAX Equipment

Kachina Peaks wilderness hunt 7east

MSTILLSON

My Fiance and I both got really lucky this year and drew peaks bull-tags with 0 points! :D Its been a few years since I have hunted elk, mostly south of flagstaff in years past. We always had the issue of limited water and high pressure from other hunters. Our hunt is in early October and I'm hoping to get some more information from you guys on this hunt area. From maps there seems to be very limited water sources up in the wilderness area, especially on the north side of the peaks. If anyone could give me extra info on water,how thick the canopy is,how much pressure to expect from other hunters/hikers, will the bulls still be up in the high country... ANY INFORMATION ON THIS WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!! I have been on onXmaps and other sources gathering information but it doesn't compare to actual boots on the ground.

Thanks in advance and good luck in the draws everyone!

Welcome, just a FYSA, posters asking for all the info in thier first post generally don’t get to many helpful post. It usually helps to introduce yourself, show you did your homework/research. Then ask targeted questions about a specific idea/ thought you are having trouble with. That’s how you will build the most rapport with the folks who know that area that can help. Good luck on your research and hunt.

or just use the search function since you registered...
I haven't hunted that unit so I don't have any dumb comments.

Thanks JohnCushman and I appreciate the criticism Addicting.. was referred here by a friend of mine and this forum is the first I've joined, so this is all new to me!

Last edited:
I had the tag last year.

Day 1
[video=youtube_share;wc_0o-5S-u0]https://youtu.be/wc_0o-5S-u0[/video]

Day 2
[video=youtube_share;DxWJ5C7LTuk]https://youtu.be/DxWJ5C7LTuk[/video]

Day 3
[video=youtube_share;b8g5iBZ-CNA]https://youtu.be/b8g5iBZ-CNA[/video]

Congrats on your draw.... Kachina Peaks Wilderness would be just east of Humphreys Peak (12k+ Ft). If you are mentioning water in local tanks around the area it will be dependent on summer monsoon activity and any moisture beyond that. You will find ponderosa pine, pinion and juniper in this area. I would give yourself 2-3 days to get familiar. I’m sure there will be pressure but use this in your favor! Also, Casey’s Processing in Flagstaff I have always used for meat processing. I believe they are still on Stardust Trail. They have a website as well... not the best detailed info but I hope this helps a fellow hunter a little bit. Good luck this fall!!

Thanks randy and CATAHOULA12!! I’ve watched your videos multiple times already!!! It’s got me kind of worried about the limited water sources in the area and everyone who has a tag will be hunting over the few tanks that are in the southeast part of the wilderness area. I know there’s more tanks but they all are close to roads and are outside of the wilderness boundary but within the hunt area. On my flatline map and on onXmaps they show multiple spring locations within the inner basin and along the north and south slopes in various canyons. Any insight on these spring sources that are all over my maps?

Last edited:
Don't fail to listen to podcast episode 68 of Randy Newberg Unfiltered. There may be some nuggets to glean that the day by day YouTube broadcasts missed.

And a fun non prank prank when Big Fin though Marcus and Ty were yanking his chain, when there really was a bull bugling higher up the ridge.

Be aware there's been MUCH less snow/rain this year compared to last --- that will affect things greatly. You'd better cross your fingers we see much more precip between now and the end of September!

BTW, it may be a bummer, but don't count on a DQ gift card at your vehicle at the end of your hunt ...

Best of luck!

i have the same tag but is the early archery hunt. get in shape you will be hunting at 10k+. Randy Newberg hunted there but this is the first year that is wilderness only, i think he hunted around the doyle saddle which is around 11600.
good luck.

Congrats on the tags. My oldest son drew a cow tag for this hunt that begins October 5. I have run across a fair number of elk the couple times I backpacked and camped in there to hunt deer with my bow. I may do that again this year and have him tag along so he can get familiar with it and I can reacquaint. I can attest it is a vertical area, so start your workouts accordingly. About 5 or 6 years ago, I let what might've been the world's dumbest mule deer forky buck walk after he dared me to shoot him three times within 20 yards in a half-hour. I'm hoping he somehow made it through his stupidity and is waiting for me up there. But I'll probably need him to suffer a dumb relapse if I want to arrow him. Good luck on the hunt!

Philomena Spring is the highest active spring on Humpreys or in the Kachina. It’s said to run year-round but I believe it frequently goes dry in August/September so I wouldn’t bet on it as it sure-thing water source. Also it’s often mis-mapped. The actual location is one drainage south. Be sure to pack a lot of water if you want to hunt up top. :eek: Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back