Caribou Gear Tarp

Solar powered phone charger

darryln75

Anybody have experience with solar phone chargers. I would be interested in recommendations for 1. I want to be able to use my phone's gps/onx app while backpacking.

I disagree, I've used Goal-Zero products for quite a while and they work very well. They use folding solar panels that I've hung off of the back of my pack. You don't use the system to provide working power, it's purpose is to recharge a battery or power pack that you then use in your device so you will most likely have to use a device that can use rechargeable batteries. For a cell phone you could hook it up during the day to trickle charge the battery in the device or charge a battery pack that you can plug in to your phone.

A buddy of mine has one and it worked well on our trip to keep both my phone and the In-reach charged up.

Anybody have experience with solar phone chargers. I would be interested in recommendations for 1. I want to be able to use my phone's gps/onx app while backpacking.

EnerPlex Surfr is a cell phone case which offers both a solar charger and backup battery storage unit for some Apple and Samsung phones enabling you to charge both auxiliary storage battery as well as your cell phone's internal battery.

Had a solar charger, not worth the money. I'd only consider taking it now if I'm going to be out for well over a week. I have a power bank now made by Dark Energy that will charge my phone multiple times and if I'm fairly conservative it will last me a week. Solar chargers suck because you need the angle right, clear skies, and a ton of time to get a good charge. I've had it charge well by just placing it out some times but most of the time I have to monkey with it and if its cloudy its a no go. The solar charger I have is goal zero. Here is a link to the power bank I have, I love it! https://home.darkenergy.com/product/poseidon/

Get one like this: https://www.amazon.com/OLEBR-12000m...8-19&keywords=solar+battery+portable+12000mah

Same model under 3 or 4 chinese makers but all work great. Trick is getting atleast a 12k model.a day in sun will get about a half recharge of the backup battery which will recharge typical phone over night. I carry 1 of these fully charged when i start a 7-10 day back trip and it lasts me whole trip if mostly sunny days. I dont use a gps(havent in 6+years) but use my phone, get rid of all the BS that drains battery and use it when needed not constantly.

I usually like this site's reviews. I was surprised they didn't rate the Goal Zero higher and they don't seem too bothered by the weight of these, but they do make some good points about which are easier to charge, whether they are finicky about total sun, speed of charge and such. Most people don't realize how much these things vary between different chargers.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back