Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anyone have their camp robbed while in the field for the day?

Most all of my gear is so crappy, I usually have folks leaving me items at my camp trying to help out...

Same here! I was hunting in Ohio (not camping), and when we get back to the truck, the guys truck parked beside of ours had the glass broken out and some items missing. Our truck wasn't touched. I was kinda offended by how inconsiderate the theives were to turn their nose up at our stuff!

I've never had anything stolen.

A buddy moved his camp to my location one season. Not due to stolen items... He returned to his camp after a morning hunt to find a fire built in front of his tent and scratched into the dirt, something to the effect, leave or your camp burns... He packed up... his nature, not worth the fight.

I've never had anything messed with at camp or a trailhead, but had almost every piece of hunting gear I own stole out of my truck while parked at the Ramada in Prince George, BC last fall. It cost me a hunt in Alaska and roughly $4,500 in gear.

I feel way more safe in the woods than I do in a city. Not much lower than a POS thief.

Yup. Thieves are crap.

I had everything stolen at a very backcountry location. 7 miles in to find it all gone. 7 pissed off miles back out. Talked with the authorities, and bought junk gear at Walmart. And another 7 miles back in. It was a long night full of curse words.

But I made it back to hunt by sunrise.

Most of my gear was recovered a month later.

A separate time I was driving back to camp and saw a truck parked at my camp. I stopped and watched a guy poke around my camp. When he opened the cooler I was done watching and hit the gas. We had a confrontation and he back peddled real fast.

I don't have the mindset of a thief, but I definitely don't have the balls to do something like take someone's stuff that I know will have some sort of weapon out in the middle of nowhere! They have to know that if they were to are caught, there's a good chance they won't make it back out! That is just insane!
I mean, can you imagine being 10' from BuzzH's truck and have him and greenhorn notice their beer in your hand! I don't want to be the one squeezing like Ned Beatty because of a couple of PBR's! :eek:

Had my Stihl 290 chainsaw, Vortex tripod, and Vanguard bipod taken from the bed of my truck while parked at a USFS trailhead during rifle season last year. It bummed me out, but is nothing like some of the other stories on here. Holy cow, there are some bad people out there!

No people but we had a bear come looking for a snack and ran off with my buddy's sleeping bag.
He sure was cold that night...

Yup. Thieves are crap.

I had everything stolen at a very backcountry location. 7 miles in to find it all gone. 7 pissed off miles back out. Talked with the authorities, and bought junk gear at Walmart. And another 7 miles back in. It was a long night full of curse words.

But I made it back to hunt by sunrise.

Most of my gear was recovered a month later.

A separate time I was driving back to camp and saw a truck parked at my camp. I stopped and watched a guy poke around my camp. When he opened the cooler I was done watching and hit the gas. We had a confrontation and he back peddled real fast.

I would like to hear how your gear was recovered!

Not yet but I always secure trailer when it has been removed from my truck during hunts. I try not to make it easy for them. Don't leave much in tent except clothes.

Awesome hunt recap and you were able to recover your gear. I know that area well as I backpack the Weminuche every summer. Was it another backpacker that stole your gear?

Pretty sure the sheep herder felt he had found a pot at the end of the rainbow.

It wasn't a back country camp, but there was a guy here in Oregon last fall that came back after hunting to find most of his camp loaded up in the back of a rig. He only saw 1 of the guys at first. Pulled his pistol...another guy came out of the shadows with a pistol pointed back at him. They had a stand-off, words were exchanged but no shots were fired, and the 2 guys drove off with his belongings. He decided it wasn't worth taking a life. He had a vehicle and perp description as well as a license plate number. Last I heard, only one of the perps had been arrested, and none of his gear had been recovered. The vehicle description matched that from several other camp thefts in the area over the last few years.

My 2nd season as a parks officer we had a rash of stolen coolers in multiple campgrounds. After an investigation that would have made Columbo proud I determined that we were indeed in the midst of a crime wave the likes had never before been seen at Rifle Gap/Rifle falls.... There were multiple suspects. It was about 50% HS kids and 50% raccoons that were living off the fat of the land.

Last season here in MT, I set up my wall tent and stove, cots and hunted there for 4 days. I left the tent, stove, cots and a row of stacked and cut firewood inside my tent for 4 days. Upon returning to camp, I found that someone had entered the tent and taken 1/2 the firewood and some of my kindling/newspaper. It felt like I had been violated a bit, but was glad that they didn't take anything else. Talk about lazy, can't cut and gather your own firewood? And there wasn't even any snow on the ground, so it likely wasn't a life or death situation.

How many of you guys set up trail cams if you are going to leave your tent/camp set up while you leave for a few days?

How many of you guys set up trail cams if you are going to leave your tent/camp set up while you leave for a few days?
Never thought of this though not a bad idea. Simple to do...

Really odd theft of firewood. That one is strange.

Last season here in MT, I set up my wall tent and stove, cots and hunted there for 4 days. I left the tent, stove, cots and a row of stacked and cut firewood inside my tent for 4 days. Upon returning to camp, I found that someone had entered the tent and taken 1/2 the firewood and some of my kindling/newspaper. It felt like I had been violated a bit, but was glad that they didn't take anything else. Talk about lazy, can't cut and gather your own firewood? And there wasn't even any snow on the ground, so it likely wasn't a life or death situation.

Stealing firewood?!? Well, that's probably the best thing for someone to steal from your hunting camp.

We put up a camera to monitor camp when we hunted first rifle in CO last year. Picked up some dudes wandering thru our camp, but nothing was taken. I like the camera-in-camp idea a lot.

If I have to put up a trail cam to protect my camps ,I will begin a new season.
Camp & catch season. I'll just wait for the thieves & catch them. It could be like hunting over a bait station. Optional endings to their seasons too.

Triple S Montana hunt style... Sitka pro hunter stickers and "I'm a bad-ass solo hunter", leave a note on the dash, "Packed in for 3 day hunt. Left xx/xx/xx date. Call ph # if not back in 5 days."
Then, tree stand away, have

I’m surprised by all these stories.
I would think stealing from a person who is for sure armed and could show up at any minute is probably a bad idea.

Back