Caribou Gear

Anyone have their camp robbed while in the field for the day?

I got so sick and tired of my gas cans getting emptied I switched and put water in my gas cans. Came back one day to 2 empty cans. I smiled for hours.

Never had it happen yet, but i think about it a lot in southern AZ during coues hunts near the Mexican border. I worry about the illegals and our food & water. I've never had an issue even though we've hunted down there about 10-15 times.

Where we camp is literally the very end of a "trail" at the wilderness boundary. There is no easy way in (serious 4x4) and we know a good number of the other camps on the way in so ANYONE coming in once the season has started would be very obvious and noticed (along with license plate pics taken). We lock up the high $$$ stuf in the trucks with just clothes and misc in the tent. Generally feel pretty comfortable about it.

havnt been hit yet anywhere.seen some shady characters in some places,.but if I ever catch anybody red-handed,,they will wish they never were..breaking into a hunters camp can be very dangerous,,,shoot first,,ask questions later imo. SSS

Not while out hunting but just two nights ago I had my 12'x14' Davis tent stored in a storage bin stolen from the bed of my truck. The lowlifes just cut the lock and slid the whole thing right out of the bed. I'm not sure what sickens me more, losing my prized tent or knowing they probably open the lid and figured it was a worthless pile of fabric and put it in a dumpster?! I wish thievery was a capital offense, society has no use for those kinds of people. :mad:

With that said, if anyone near Lubbock happens across a tan tent (supposedly only was of a dozen or so made by Davis) with two patches please let me know!

Last edited:
Not yet in 63 yrs. Not camping. Knock on my wooden head............but have had tools ,gear & briefcase stolen when staying at motels or in a city.....Albacrackie twice. Nothing was ever done.
But I am pretty careful now. Lock or cable everything.Do not leave camp spread out. Shell on the hunt rig,tinted windows & locked. Avoid camps....
I even talk to local LEO's before hunts or camping in new areas.
I hate to think of what I would do if I caught someone, but I know the end result.

Camp in remote area in Wyoming for antelope. Never had anything taken, however, I wonder when that day will come. Talked to the ranger and he assured me that it was a safe area.

good luck to all
the dog

I found a camp where the people hadn't properly put out their fire before they went hunting. Empty beer cans and Doritos were also laying on the ground - they must have had quite a night.

The fire was creeping through the duff so I used the beer they hadn't drunk yet to put it out. Ate a couple Doritos too. Sorry Greenhorn and Buzz if that was you.

Back in early 80's, was camping in Natl forest campground. Wife & I left before daylight & returned after dark. Tent & everything in it was gone. Hope the fuel in light spilled & ruined the tent, bags & pads. Camp host offered to put us up for night, but was too mad & drove 3 hours home.

Not while out hunting but just two nights ago I had my 12'x14' Davis tent stored in a storage bin stolen from the bed of my truck. The lowlifes just cut the lock and slid the whole thing right out of the bed. I'm not sure what sickens me more, losing my prized tent or knowing they probably open the lid and figured it was a worthless pile of fabric and put it in a dumpster?! I wish thievery was a capital offense, society has no use for those kinds of people. :mad:

With that said, if anyone near Lubbock happens across a tan tent (supposedly only was of a dozen or so made by Davis) with two patches please let me know!

That sucks. I will keep my eye out if I see anything on craigslist.

We've never had a problem with anything. Just to be on the safe side I've always chained up our extra fuel and gen to the frame of my trailer on whatever side faces away from the road.
Also since we always have 2 trucks, one is always in camp so they won't know if someone is in the trailer or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back