Alaska caribou DIY

Fsmith

First post here. been researching Alaska for a while, read about everything caribou I could. In the next 1-2 years id like to do a drop camp hunt specifically the 40 mile herd unit 20. Ive reached out to a couple transporters, waiting on hearing back from 1, seems pretty tough to get booked with one. 40 mile air seems to be a great outfit. any pointers on getting booked or other safe transporters that have good success in that region that don't charge what an outfitted hunt would? Any information on this type of hunt or a private message would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. Never done a caribou hunt so not much help but just wanted to say welcome! I've been to alaska once to fish it was amazing!

Thank you Ttannahill14! Looking forward to meeting some new hunters here.

Thanks! Same here. Been watching Randy talk about the site and I finally took the plunge.

Looking forward to seeing what this thread turns up as I have been kicking this around for a while too.

Any particular reason why you are looking at the Fortymile herd? I've been looking at the Porcupine and Western Arctic herds...

Looking forward to seeing what this thread turns up as I have been kicking this around for a while too.

Any particular reason why you are looking at the Fortymile herd? I've been looking at the Porcupine and Western Arctic herds...

Logistics. Condition of the herd. $ of course, I'd be driving up from Montana it would be an 1800 mile drive. Seems like this hunt fits better than most. I haven't dug into the porcupine herd at all.

Maybe try looking in the Alaska forum section too. My brother and I are planning a northern Alaska Caribou hunt maybe in two years so I've clicked on some of the threads over there.

Maybe try looking in the Alaska forum section too. My brother and I are planning a northern Alaska Caribou hunt maybe in two years so I've clicked on some of the threads over there.

I'll do that thank you

I took my first caribou out of the 40-mile herd when I was living up there. Walked in off the road system from the and caught them as they were migrating through. Tried it every year after, but never could catch them near the road again. If you go the air charter route, you shouldn't have much trouble as hopefully they will set you down in front of or in the middle of the migrating herd.

Its been quite a few years since I've been up there, but back in the day the forty-mile herd had some nice bulls in it.

Three friends and I just did the 40 mile air caribou hunt this last August. We had a great time and we were all successful. We flew up and rented a van. I would love to talk to anybody that wants to here about the hunt and all of the logistics involved. Bill 5036168169

Do a search, there are probably no less than 15 threads on this topic. Lots of good information.

Good luck!

Do a search, there are probably no less than 15 threads on this topic. Lots of good information.

Good luck!

I've been over them the past few nights. Looks like some great country up there. Really wish I joined this forum sooner, tons of great info here, all the help is great. Now to make friends with someone who's flown with them.

I did the same type of hunt in 2007. I used Northern Air Trophy out of Kotzebue to hunt the WACH. I did a lot of research and I never found a hunter that had anything bad to say about the transporter they used. I did however have many that used other transporters say if they were to do it again they would use NAT because of the trophy quality their clients harvested. While we were taking final pictures and boxing up antlers, we had many other parties come up and admire our trophies, stating they saw nothing of that caliber in their area. We did hunt hard every day and only slept a few hours each night until the last caribou was killed. We passed on hundreds of bulls.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back