Polaris verses Honda

brnsvllyjohn

I recently changed from a Honda Rancher (2005) to a Polaris 570 Sportsman Touring 2-up (2016). I had to make the change since the Honda was just getting too difficult for me to ride. I have some issues that the rougher riding Honda really aggravated. I have now had the Polaris for 1.5 hunting seasons. I am not as confident in it as I was with the Honda. The Honda always started and performed as expected. The Polaris has had a few minor issues. For those of you that have owned a Polaris do you feel they are extremely reliable? I am debating taking the Honda when the roads are not super rough and only using the Polaris on the roughest terrain. The Polaris is the best riding machine I have ever been on so that is great. I don't "road hunt" from my quad I just ride to a spot and then hunt on foot. Owning a quad allows me to hunt areas that my truck cannot get to and allows me to do a lot of one way hunts on my own. I typically tow a 21 ft. travel trailer and carry the quad in the pickup. I set up camp and if possible ride from camp to where I hunt. In Idaho I drive a few miles from camp then offload the quad and go on from there. Most roads I use are 4x4 only roads the quad will go on roads an F250 will not fit on. Also once the weather turns ugly the quad is just easier to get around on.

Issues I have read about the Polaris.
Battery is too small. I now carry a jump starter since you cannot pull start a newer Polaris.
Drive belt issues. I think I will change the drive belt and see how it is holding up.
Fuel pump. I have already had to have the fuel pump replaced but apparently that is not a common issue. I just got a bad one.

I had a 2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI, the EFI was nice in cold weather but it seemed like I was always fixing something. I replaced the speed sensor, fuel pump (if the fuel tank gets too hot it will vapor lock and stop running), another sensor (located by the air filter, it has really small wires and one broke causing it to not run), the Speedo pod, axles and bushings. I ended up selling and buying a Honda again, they just flat out are easy to maintain but like you said the ride is nothing compared to the Sportsman. My experience has been that if you want a reliable work horse buy a Honda, if you want a smoother ride and still reliable get a Yamaha, If you like fixing your machine get a Polaris or Arctic Cat.

I had a 2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI, the EFI was nice in cold weather but it seemed like I was always fixing something. I replaced the speed sensor, fuel pump (if the fuel tank gets too hot it will vapor lock and stop running), another sensor (located by the air filter, it has really small wires and one broke causing it to not run), the Speedo pod, axles and bushings. I ended up selling and buying a Honda again, they just flat out are easy to maintain but like you said the ride is nothing compared to the Sportsman. My experience has been that if you want a reliable work horse buy a Honda, if you want a smoother ride and still reliable get a Yamaha, If you like fixing your machine get a Polaris or Arctic Cat.

I agree with this guy 100%. I've spent many of hours dealing with my Polaris but the old Honda we have has had limited repairs and does the job, just not as smooth.

My guess is that your honda had a rear solid axle. I would try one of the newer ones that have independent rear suspension. I've always had Yamaha and very happy with them.

Your drive belt issue could possibly be solved by only using low gear when driving slow, rough terrain or carrying a heavy load (2 people).

I have had a Yamaha, Honda, and Polaris. I currently still have a Polaris that is 21 years old. I would have to agree that Honda is the most reliable, but I have had to work on them all. I think the Polaris is easier to work on than all of them. Here is how I look at it. #1 if something breaks who is the easiest dealer to find? #2 Ease of working on it in the field #3 Durability can they take a beating. It is a close race between Honda and Polaris. Honda used to get the win but since there are no Honda dealers close by anymore Polaris takes the lead. Even when I go out West it seems I can find more Polaris dealers anymore.

Locally there are only 2 dealers, Honda and Polaris. I would buy a Honda in heart beat but they don't offer a 2-up. After owning a 2-up I don't think I could go back to a single rider quad. In California we have to ALWAYS were a helmet and we can never carry a second person unless it is rated for that. I have been warned about both. I once asked a game warden in Idaho how many passengers I could carry and he just laughed and said as many as I could get on one. With the grandkids starting to go now the 2-up is even more important. I went to an F250 long bed in case I give up on the Polaris and go to a Honda UTV. My son tells me the Honda UTVs don't ride as nice as the Polaris. He uses UTVs and quads for work almost every day. He wants to buy my Honda for personal use and he does have 2 sons. My thinking was to maybe take the Honda on the Idaho trips but use the Polaris in Ca. No off road vehicle is perfect.

I think as hunters we go through 4 phases when it comes to ATVs and hunting.
Phase 1. At age 35 we hate everyone that rides to the top of the ridge to hunt. Too noisy and you should walk the road if you can't drive a 4x4 truck on it.
Phase 2. At 45 we envy the guy who loads his buck on his quad and rides back to camp but we would rather bone one out than give in and buy an ATV.
Phase 3. At 55 we give in and buy one since all of our older hunting buddies own one by now.
Phase 4. At 65 we are tired of getting beat up and all we care about is being able to hunt multiple days and still walk. We also start to worry about transporting grandkids and the wife will no longer ride one by herself.

I don't own either but if you have a 2up and like it, stick with it. I own a can-am 2up since 2005 and love it, so i know what you mean about going back to a one person wheeler. You already got some miles on it and fixed the minor problems, and it doesn't sound like you drive them hard. So I would stick with the polaris. Belts will go for thousands of miles if treated right. I have around 2400 on my original belt and run oversized tires and at times ride it fast. Treat your polaris well and you will get confident in it.

I don't hunt with atv's, but use them daily for work. I've had great luck with newer and older Polaris machines and even better experience with late 90's Honda's. Like them both very much, but would have to say that the Honda's are probably more reliable. FWIW

I have a Honda pioneer 500 SxS that I love. My dad has a 1994 Honda 300 the the only thing he has done is maintenance a new starter and a new battery. I have never owned a Polaris but have friends that have and they have had issues with them.

I have a Honda pioneer 500 SxS that I love. My dad has a 1994 Honda 300 the the only thing he has done is maintenance a new starter and a new battery. I have never owned a Polaris but have friends that have and they have had issues with them.

How do you like the ride on the Pioneer 500? If I had owned a larger pickup when I purchased my Polaris I probably would have bought that Honda. That might still happen some day. My son said the ride is not as good on the Pioneer but I don't know if it would be a problem for me.

It isn't too bad but I really can't compare to anything since I haven't been in any other side by side. My friend has the 700 and says it rides smooth. I stuck with the 500 for a little easier towability. It is a good machine though.

Locally there are only 2 dealers, Honda and Polaris. I would buy a Honda in heart beat but they don't offer a 2-up. After owning a 2-up I don't think I could go back to a single rider quad. In California we have to ALWAYS were a helmet and we can never carry a second person unless it is rated for that. I have been warned about both. I once asked a game warden in Idaho how many passengers I could carry and he just laughed and said as many as I could get on one. With the grandkids starting to go now the 2-up is even more important. I went to an F250 long bed in case I give up on the Polaris and go to a Honda UTV. My son tells me the Honda UTVs don't ride as nice as the Polaris. He uses UTVs and quads for work almost every day. He wants to buy my Honda for personal use and he does have 2 sons. My thinking was to maybe take the Honda on the Idaho trips but use the Polaris in Ca. No off road vehicle is perfect.

I think as hunters we go through 4 phases when it comes to ATVs and hunting.
Phase 1. At age 35 we hate everyone that rides to the top of the ridge to hunt. Too noisy and you should walk the road if you can't drive a 4x4 truck on it.
Phase 2. At 45 we envy the guy who loads his buck on his quad and rides back to camp but we would rather bone one out than give in and buy an ATV.
Phase 3. At 55 we give in and buy one since all of our older hunting buddies own one by now.
Phase 4. At 65 we are tired of getting beat up and all we care about is being able to hunt multiple days and still walk. We also start to worry about transporting grandkids and the wife will no longer ride one by herself.

Ummmmmm..... NO. mtmuley

Its a utv but i got a pioneer 1000 LE thats amazing! Adjustable suspension and goes anywhere and is registered as street legal here. Put 1200 miles on it last season over 3 months of hunts, never again atv! Saves tons of wear and tear on my truck. Doing the spring bear oil change this weekend to get ready!

There's no question the Polaris rides smoother but it's not even close on reliability. Ask any independent repair shop which brands he sees the most and you'll almost always see Polaris getting worked on. Pick any of the foreign brands Honda,Suzuki,Kawasaki,yamaha and they will go forever. I saw 2 traded in locally from a ranch and both had just passed 30K miles. I couldn't believe it.
Like was mentioned if your Honda doesn't have Independent rear suspension then your beating your self up. It's night and day in the smoothness dept. and couple that with some power steering and the new stuff is way more comfortable than the old.

In California the 4x4 roads I use to access a couple of hunting spots are famous and there are a bunch of You Tube videos with guys in specialized rock crawlers doing some crazy things. The roads are legal for any 4x4 but only the best 4x4s can make it. The Polaris is way better in those conditions. Last year in archery season (August) I was riding in the middle of the day headed towards camp when I stopped to talk to some recreational riders. Of course I was wearing camo and had my crossbow. One person commented that they didn't think it was a great idea for the forest service to allow hunting so close to a road system. I assured them that an archer would not shoot anyone on the road or anywhere else for that matter. Interesting opinion from some on the national forest. In rifle season you rarely see those recreational riders or off road clubs in the area. You might see a bunch of deer hunters since this is California and there are no secret spots.

I bought a new Sportsman 500 in 2002. It's still going strong - all I've done is change the oil and a couple of batteries. Got a new RZR two years ago and no problems so far.

I've got an early 90s Honda Recon. I use it for plowing snow and 4 wheeling around the hills and it's still going strong.

My first four-wheeler was a 1999 Yamaha Bear Tracker. It was also insanely reliable.

Back