Dog E Collar Advice

I love my dogtra, i got the arc so it's slim, seems to fit him nice.

I lost the remote in a snow storm in a foot of snow, found it two weeks later after the snow melted and that morning was single digits and the thing was frozen rock solid but still works like a charm. Good battery life except in the cold, single digits the collar doesn't last that long, maybe a good 4hr hunt?

I've used my cheap dogtra for 12 years now. I replaced the batteries in it twice because they wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Other than that, great collar.

The battery life on my DogWatch transmitter/receiver is at least 3+ days without either being shut off before needing to be charged for 4hrs. Status bar on the transmitter to let you know the transmitter/receiver are in communication with one another, and lights on the receiver at night. There are cheaper options, but at some point when you think you go cheap on things in the end you pay more when you have to fix things that don’t work. You may as well buy the quality product out of the gate.

Have a tri tronics I have had 8.5 years and use it still on upland training (www.covemountainkennels.com) and running bear and lion hounds. Still works but, as someone stayed, the quality went south when garmin bought tri tronics. Garmin makes great gps recievers and collars, but not great e collars from all I have heard. I also have a dogtra I got from a client. Little thing has worked great for upland but not quite the range I need for hounds.

I've had Tritronics, Dogtra dna DT system's. They usually work really well. Problem I had with Trtronics and Dogtra is there is about a 1 sec delay in the shock, made it hard for me to time right. But they were all good collars. DT Systems have changed a lot since I had mine. Everybody is in love with a collar wit a range of one mile. I don't have a use one for those. Get your dog out even a half mile in some slight cover and try to spot it, probably won't be able to do it. Your half mile collar probably won't reach out a half mile but doesn't really matter much. You can't teach a dog a thing at half mile, just punish. You might do a search on the internet for Collar Clinic. They have collar's they've rebuilt that ar less expensive that new.

One more thing, don't buy a collar full of thing's you didn't know you needed. Just make's the collar cost more and doesn't add much for training. I might add that I don't care for multiple dog collar's. You will not have all that much luck trying to train two and a time! You'll find you always have one dog your watching and paying attention to and one your not! Timing is pretty much everything!

I've been using the Sportdog 825 daily for the last 5 months and have 0 complaints about it. It's been the hand of god for a spun-up lab puppy. We've been able to do 95% of er training w/o a check cord and she's done most of her "good citizen" training with it instead of a leash. Ours came with 2 levels for the electric settings, vibration & tone. I'd not hesitate to get another one.

I've been using the Sportdog 825 daily for the last 5 months and have 0 complaints about it. It's been the hand of god for a spun-up lab puppy. We've been able to do 95% of er training w/o a check cord and she's done most of her "good citizen" training with it instead of a leash. Ours came with 2 levels for the electric settings, vibration & tone. I'd not hesitate to get another one.

I’ve been looking at this one for a training collar as well. Thanks for the report.

Our dog trainer uses the garmin models exclusively and you get a Delta XC when use him for obedience training as part of the package. Having said that, it's a great collar and we have had no issues.

I just ordered the Sport Dog 1225 Field Trainer. It will get put through the paces later this summer, at which time I'll be able to offer some halfway intelligent thoughts on it.

I've used Innotek, Tritronics before Garmin, Garmin and Sportdog and unless you need a GPS feature I VASTLY prefer the Dogtra 2500 T&B. If you have desires for another pup, then the 2502 T&B. It's a beeper and a receiver all in one ultra compact collar. They feature Dogtra's rheostat stimulation (0-100), point only beep, run and point beep, and locate only beep AND the new ones feature the vibration. The Receiver is 100% mud and waterproof and the transmitter is water resistant. I've been running one since they came out and won't ever get another unit unless they discontinue it or I somehow feel the need to upgrade to GPS. IMO there is no other collar that comes close to the reliability and having the features of the Dogtra.

Should mention one more thing. Get a collar as soon as you can and once the pup grows into it, have it wear the collar all the time your out with it, early on do not turn it on. You just want the pup to get used to it. Best way to get your pup collar wise is don't put it on until you start working your dog. To set the intensity, put the collar on the dog and turn it ll the way don. You nic your dog there and you will likely get no reaction from your dog. Start working up in intensity and at each step, nick the dog waiting for a sign it felt it. You'll know the sigh because of the dog's expression. It felt something and hasn't a clue where it came from. Your power is pretty close to just right right there. Everybody that has good luck will tell you it's a great collar. Well don't be overly impressed because you'll find other's that had bad experience's with the same collar. A bad experience here and there does not make any collar bad.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back