New Bear Hunter, Unit 12 Idaho

JumpinLegs

Hello everyone! This will be my first year hunting bear, and I have a tag for Unit 12 Idaho. It was cheap, it looked like there were fair success rates, and it seems like it won't be too crowded, so I just got one OTC tag. I'll be hunting the area with my dad May 22-28. I don't have a lot of hunting experience, and I'm completely self taught. I plan on doing spot and stalk. I'll also be utilizing predator calls, seeing as it will be a little after bears have come out of their dens. There are a couple of bigger burn areas in the unit that I plan on targeting. I've read up a lot on bear hunting, but my questions deal more with general hunting in bear country.

What are some tips for storing your food while hunting in bear country? I don't particularly want to wake up to a grizzly rummaging through my groceries. Are there any other bear-safety tips to remember when hunting in that area? I'm also planning on getting a wolf tag in case one comes along. Any tips for getting a wolf? Lastly, any general bear hunting tips for a first timer? Thanks in advance.

How did the hunt go? thats the unit im thinking about going to this spring. It will be my first time there

Probably got ate by a bear out squawking on the predator call. Hope he had his dad with him for that, they come in quiet and hungry.

Back