Caribou Gear

Nebraska DIY Turkey

isu22andy

Thinking about going to Nebraska to try to chase one of them white ringed fans. Been hunting for many years in Iowa for turkeys, but looking for something different. Was thinking going to the Northwest corner . Is it worth the drive to the Churdan area or will theyll be some Merriams closer to the north central part of the state on Niobrara ? Going to be going on public land with archery equipment. Any help or experience will help.

Fans generally get whiter the farther west you go in NE, but I did shoot a jake with a snow white fan near Lincoln while I lived there. Valentine/Niobrara country is filthy with turks, but I would expect the majority to have a hybrid appearance that varies from tan to possibly fairly white. That makes it a great spot for people that just want to hunt turkeys and don't care quite as much about the fan color since the people that really want a white bird are more inclined to hunt farther west.

Also, don't be afraid to knock on doors. I've gotten a lot of turkey permission by stopping to visit for a few minutes.

Where you at in Iowa? I grew up in the SW corner and am an ISU alum (finished in 2010). Go Cyclones!

Fans generally get whiter the farther west you go in NE, but I did shoot a jake with a snow white fan near Lincoln while I lived there. Valentine/Niobrara country is filthy with turks, but I would expect the majority to have a hybrid appearance that varies from tan to possibly fairly white. That makes it a great spot for people that just want to hunt turkeys and don't care quite as much about the fan color since the people that really want a white bird are more inclined to hunt farther west.

Also, don't be afraid to knock on doors. I've gotten a lot of turkey permission by stopping to visit for a few minutes.

Where you at in Iowa? I grew up in the SW corner and am an ISU alum (finished in 2010). Go Cyclones!

Ha yep we asked around aleady and got permission on a ranch from my buddies families connection about 4 hours west of Omaha. He said why the hell you wanna drive all the way out here to kill a turkey. I had 200 of them out the back door the other day haha. I grew up around the Denison area, graduated from ISU in 2010 as well in Ag business.

Nice, glad you were able to find a spot. It always amazed me how some farmers have so many birds and seem like hunting one never crossed their mind. I grew up near Red Oak and was in Animal Ecology at ISU.

Ha yep we asked around aleady and got permission on a ranch from my buddies families connection about 4 hours west of Omaha. He said why the hell you wanna drive all the way out here to kill a turkey. I had 200 of them out the back door the other day haha. I grew up around the Denison area, graduated from ISU in 2010 as well in Ag business.

Andy: two types of turkeys out there... 1. river bottom and hills birds. If these birds are river bottom then they will stay around. If they are hills birds then they will migrate into the surrounding hills as it warms up. You may want to ask the landowner if the birds are there all spring. If the answer if "NO" then get your butt out there before they disperse.

good luck to all
the dog

Nice, glad you were able to find a spot. It always amazed me how some farmers have so many birds and seem like hunting one never crossed their mind. I grew up near Red Oak and was in Animal Ecology at ISU.

Nice I know a few people down that way. Game warden in WY now or what you doing out that way ? Id like to head out there and try to get a muley now. Knocked antelope off my list last year.

Thanks for the advice the dog. We will see what we find on Friday !

They are still bunched up but are showing some interest in the decoy. This guy showed a little to much interest.

IMG_1004.jpg

Nice I know a few people down that way. Game warden in WY now or what you doing out that way ? Id like to head out there and try to get a muley now. Knocked antelope off my list last year.

Thanks for the advice the dog. We will see what we find on Friday !

Fisheries biologist. Muley hunting is a blast! Definitely try to make that hunt happen if it appeals to you, and let me know if you have questions about tags and such in Wyoming..

Last edited:
I am heading to the NW corner to hunt birds for the first time 20-21 April.....it was an offer I couldn't pass up.

Fisheries biologist. Muley hunting is a blast! Definitely try to make that hunt happen if it appeals to you, and let me know if you have questions about tags and such in Wyoming..

I see, cool. We are thinking on Unit 81 , dont have really much for preference points or experience hunting muleys, just whitetails and pronghorn. Dont know really what to expect the first time out .

Looks like cold and snow next weekend, whats that going to do to the turkeys behavior ? Shut em off ?

My experience has been cold wet weather making for slow turkey hunting. But if you’re set up where they want to be you can still make it happen. Im no expert, but send me a pm when you and to talk muleys and I’ll do what I can to help you pick through some areas.

A guy I worked with was from SW Nebraska along the Republican River and he would tell me stories about how he would get busted before he could get a clean shot on a single bird because there was always other birds in the background.

Headed to Chadron State Park/Nebraska Ntl Forest area this weekend. It'll be my group from Iowa's first western turkey hunt. Pretty stoked about it! Been hearing that birds were still pretty bunched up last weekend, and of course looks like a massive cold front w/some snow will be coming through on Friday/Saturday. Not sure what that'll do for the hunting.

We will be about 50 miles northeast of Sidney for the shotgun opener. Hoping to see Merriams. Anyone have experience out that way ?

F250 are you Still going this weekend? With the blizzard coming in on Friday my groups thinking about postponing our trip. Saturday looks to be miserable.

Edit: I guess the weather around Sidney isn't near as bad as what's foretasted for Chadron area. 6-10" of snow for Chadron.

Last edited:
We have no choice. Travel arrangements and vacation time for my buddy are locked in. We will hope for the best. Maybe the weather folks are making another goof !!!!

Last weekend We went out and smacked 2 the first afternoon in 15 degrees and snow, it was hard to pull them from the location where they roosted and fed all day (cattleyard). The next morning we set up in the cattle yard and our 3rd buddy smoked one right away. Tagged out. The birds seemed no interest in our calls and almost shyed away from our decoys it seemed like ? We were using Avian X jake and hen. It seemed like there were so many live hens and jakes and toms around the decoys really didnt do like I thought they would .

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back