140 or 160? Now accepting advice.

Huh. I was under the impression that shortening OAL generally lowered velocity....

Shortening the OAL or in other words seating the bullet deeper reduces the combustion space in the brass - thus increasing pressure upon ignition which results in increased velocity.

The example velocity chart above is very typical although as mentioned it will vary based on powder, bullets, brass etc.

Shortening the OAL or in other words seating the bullet deeper reduces the combustion space in the brass - thus increasing pressure upon ignition which results in increased velocity.

The example velocity chart above is very typical although as mentioned it will vary based on powder, bullets, brass etc.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense for the same powder charge. I think I was getting things turned around in my head because a longer OAL increases the potential for higher velocities, by enabling larger powder charges at the same pressure level.

My 7-08 seems to like a couple different combinations of 140grn Accubonds and Varget.

Somebody else mentioned 139grn Interbonds, I did an exhaustive search for them and came up with nada. I don't know if Hornady is planning to discontinue the interbond in that caliber/weight, but there seem to be none in the world presently.

I can't seem to find any Interbonds in stock at stores in Fargo even for .30 caliber. That's at Scheels and Mills Fleet Farm, so probably not the world's greatest sources. But I was a bit dissapointed that I couldn't find any. I like Hornady's stuff.

I can't seem to find any Interbonds in stock at stores in Fargo even for .30 caliber. That's at Scheels and Mills Fleet Farm, so probably not the world's greatest sources. But I was a bit dissapointed that I couldn't find any. I like Hornady's stuff.

www.ammoseek.com list a bunch of sources for .257, .277, .284 & .308. In some calibers not all bullet weights are available, but I do see the 154gn in .284 and the .308 in 130gn, 165gn and 180gn.

I think I saw that Midwayusa had a sale on them now.

You might try some Federal Fusions also. I have found that a lot of rifles like them. They tend to shoot well in just about every rifle I've tried them in.

You might try some Federal Fusions also. I have found that a lot of rifles like them. They tend to shoot well in just about every rifle I've tried them in.

I have found the same true with Hornady Whitetail - pretty forgiving design along with very average performance.

I have found the same true with Hornady Whitetail - pretty forgiving design along with very average performance.

I used a box of those cause they were cheap to get my scope close on my new rifle. My rifle definitely didn't like those and they were crazy slow, too. I don't know why, they just didn't work for me.

I have a finnicky 7-08 as well. My current load is 46.5 gr IMR 4350 pushing a Sierra 140 BTSP. This will group under 2" at 200 yds. I have taken numerous Axis Deer with it. I am not sure I would trust using it on an elk of 200 yds. I personally really like Accubonds and have been shooting them in my '06. I just haven't had the opportunity to try them in my 7-08.

Rodney,
Just to make sure i understand...
Your finicky 7mm-08 groups 1 MOA at 200 yard, and you don't trust it to hunt elk???
Ummmm, yeaahhh....

Back to the original poster..

I could not get the Accubonds to group worth a tinkers darn in any of my rifles.
Seems like either it likes them, or it doesn't.
I wouldn't shoot 160's out of a 7mm-08. Bullets seat WAYYY into the casing.

The 139gr. SST, and 140gr. Ballistic Tip seated about 0.020" off the lands should do you well.
Yes, with RL17.
I'm shooting 140 gr. Berger VLD Hunting seated 0.005" off the lands. Cheaper per 100 than Ballistic Tips too.

Yeah, our 7-08's have been finicky too...

I think I could have tinkered with any of these powders with the 140 AB's and spun up better results. Shot all these groups the same day doing load development for my wifes rifle. Never changed zero either.

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

Yeah, our 7-08's have been finicky too...

I think I could have tinkered with any of these powders with the 140 AB's and spun up better results. Shot all these groups the same day doing load development for my wifes rifle. Never changed zero either.

Do you have velocities on those? Curious, as the guys at 6.5guys claim the can get similar accuracy nodes across multiple powders as long as the hit the velocity points a given gun likes.

Last edited:
Do you have velocities on those? Curious, as the guys at 6.5guys claim the can get similar accuracy nodes across multiple powders as long as the hit the velocity points a given gun likes.

The only one I know for sure is the varget load in that rifle, it's...2910. I would speculate the RL-19 is right there too...maybe even a pinchy better velocity, but didn't chronograph that one.

You're right, I should have checked velocity on all of those, but didn't. Sorry about that, I'm not much help.

The only one I know for sure is the varget load in that rifle, it's...2910. I would speculate the RL-19 is right there too...maybe even a pinchy better velocity, but didn't chronograph that one.

You're right, I should have checked velocity on all of those, but didn't. Sorry about that, I'm not much help.

With that many accurate choices no reason to at the time, but at some point I plan on putting the theory to the test. I can only hope my work up of a 25-06 round for WY 'lope this fall is half as successful.

With that many accurate choices no reason to at the time, but at some point I plan on putting the theory to the test. I can only hope my work up of a 25-06 round for WY 'lope this fall is half as successful.

Make sure to post results, I'd be curious to see what you find. I suspect there could be some truth to the theory.

I'll start packing the chronograph to the range more...I just get in hurry to see how new loads are going to perform.

Just an FYI, in the 2 25-06's I've dealt with IMR4831 and 120 Partitions didn't suck...

Was going to mention...if you want to give the 120 partitions a try, think I have about 2k of them and could send you a dozen or so...

Was going to mention...if you want to give the 120 partitions a try, think I have about 2k of them and could send you a dozen or so...

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it later, but I have already started working up my first batch with 100gn TTSX - I am hoping to play with copper for a while if my guns like it.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back