MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First shotgun: O/U vs. Pump

Both boys are left eye dominant, so teaching them to shoot LH. Makes it hard to find "deals" on the used rack, but I'd put this one in that category. :D

He's digging shotgunning more than I thought he would. Now I need to get him on some flying targets.

I recall the challenge you discussed of finding lefty weapons. Kudos to you for figuring out their eye dominance and then equipping them. Sets them up for success instead of frustration. Some beginners shoot flying Frisbees or paper plates before trying clay targets.

I recall the challenge you discussed of finding lefty weapons. Kudos to you for figuring out their eye dominance and then equipping them. Sets them up for success instead of frustration. Some beginners shoot flying Frisbees or paper plates before trying clay targets.
I might have to see how cheap I can find some frisbees! He's shot clays with another shotgun and did well once he got the hang of it. But, those were only targets going straight away from him. Which ever target it is, we'll be having some fun! Now I just need to decide on a recoil pad and get the LH safety ordered.

If he's hitting his targets, and not complaining about recoil, then I'd leave the LOP alone and maybe add a 1/2 inch pad at most. Gun looks like it fits well!

He said he thought it kicked less than my 870, but I didn't think so... ;) :D One pad I'm considering would change LOP less than 1/2".

When I shoot a gun that is too short, my thumb knuckle, not the comb busts my cheek. Took a while to realize what was hitting me. Anyway, that's my experience.

When I shoot a gun that is too short, my thumb knuckle, not the comb busts my cheek. Took a while to realize what was hitting me. Anyway, that's my experience.
That could be what I'm experiencing. I'll try to compare the LOPs between the 870 and the 37. I do have a Mossberg 500 that whacks my cheek pretty good at times, so I'm not unused to it. Which makes me wonder how consistent I am in mounting a shotgun.

Put a little chalk or something on your thumb next time and see what happens. Sounds like the average shotgun stock is too short for you, maybe.

I have both and use them for different hunting conditions. If I'm out in the duck boat and drop a shotgun in a half frozen pond at 5:30 in the morning, I don't want it to be my Beretta Silver Snipe. If we're dove hunting on the high desert and I can see where I'm walking, the O/U is my choice. Years ago I was out shooting dove with a friend of mine. He had a beautiful Krieghoff over and under and I asked him what the practical difference was between my Charles Daly and his shotgun. He said "The only difference is when mine breaks, it costs more to fix it". Something I have always kept in mind when choosing a weapon for a particular task.

Either a Browning or Winchester Pump. Strongly recommend against new Mossberg 500 or Remington 870- nothing but trouble with shells sticking in the chamber, and I mean stuck.

Cheaper than a double gun. Safer than an auto loader. Better quality for the money.

Control their ammo- one shell at a time- and the pump is safe as can be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back