First shotgun: O/U vs. Pump

Start with a 16 I guess. I was thrown at 12's early...lol.
On model, a 500 or a 870.

O/Us get all the chicks... that'll start coming in handy for him soon.

He could hunt with a bolt action goose gun and the chicks won’t give a shit as long as he has a cute dog.

We have the dog part down. Not sure he's "cute" though, but they might. :D
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

PS- He's not that wooly anymore. I kinda wish he was, until he gets into the cockleburs...

I'd say pump, with a distinct bias toward an Ithaca 37, as for an O/U, they can be great shotguns, but would still lean towards a pump or single shot for a 1st scattergun

I mean if you are looking for a dog to pick up girls with...
188FAD37-69AB-4F3A-9731-F1855EE1B6B5.jpg

10/10 on cute factor, 5/10 on the hunting ability

I had a mini-pin in college that was a GREAT wingman! :D Couldn't hunt for spit and I think he was racist.

I've been perusing websites for used shotguns and am thinking of trying something. There's an Ithaca 37 (28", fixed Modified) that's been cycled a couple of different times on an auction site. I'm thinking of putting a bid in at a few bucks over the minimum and seeing what happens. The gun looks to be in fine mechanical shape, just some normal wear from a gun it's age. Two biggest issues are the buttplate is broken and a palm sized area on the receiver has the blue gone/faded. IF I can get this for the price I bid, I'm thinking it'll make for a fun project for me and my son to share allowing the gun to truly be his. The buttplate would be replaced with a recoil pad. Probably try our hand at refinishing the wood as well. The bluing I'm not sure how to handle. I'd like to get it refinished, but not sure of: 1. a DIY job or pay to have it done and 2. whether to go with a blue or some 'higher tech' type finish.

When looking at shotguns I've shown my son pics of old used ones, some in much worse shape than this, and asked if he liked them and he's said yes. However, I think he may just be saying about anything to get one... Couple of things I'm pondering:
1. Should I just be less cheap and get him a new shotgun?
2. How limited would he be with a 20ga that only allows 2.75" shells?

The fixed choke thing is less of a concern as I've used a modified choke for 95+% of my shotgunning. Until the past few years I've just used 2.75" shells in a 20ga. However, I've not used 3" shells for both turkey hunting and pheasant hunting. If I decide to get him a new shotgun, it'd be capable of 3" shells, so making my mind up on #1 above could negate #2...

Just typing out loud...

The memories you make restoring that gun will be just as important to your son as the time in the field.

I'd opt for the project over the shiny new gun.

I'd not feel undergunned w/ a 20 gauge & 2 3/4" shells for upland.

1. Now you should not be less cheap. In fact, you will be very spendy. Fixing up an old one will take much more of your time and time is much more valuable than money. It will be a perfect investment however.
2. Not at all.

Additionally, if you want, I'll send you instructions on how to do a quality polishing and rust blue. With some care, but not too much skill, anyone can do a true rust blue that will knock your socks off. It will take some time and effort to do it right but it's not actually hard to do at all.

Sounds like a great project.

You know what my answer is to both questions.

We will expect some project pictures.

I think you are looking for a pump of the Mossberg variety. The new Ithaca 37 are not cheap...and not light. If you can find a used one that would be a nice gun too. But not functionally better than the Mossberg I don't think. I don't like the bottom only port in the Ithaca. Should a shell get jammed it's fun getting your fingers up in such a thing. But the old ithacas are nice pretty guns that are subjectively nice to me.

Of the o/u you mentioned I had owned a silver reserve and put thousands of rounds through it. They are well balanced guns and cheap especially used. Also there used to be a savage Stevens that was also a pretty gun and a good price.

I now own a franchi instinct. But those will just set you back a figure with a comma and like all cheap o/u had some quality control issues (at least early on).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back