Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Very nice haul!! The BPS was second on my list and I may still end up with one for the boys as I'd like something that can take 3" shells and steel shot. Ducks and squirrels is not a combo I'd have thought of together, but could see that making for a FUN day. The boys and I may need to venture to LA sometime...

A fun morning it was except for trying to kill squirrels with steel shot. You're looking at a box of shells in that picture with only 4 used for the ducks lol. Bring that new gun down and let the boy put it to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHOMP View Post
    A fun morning it was except for trying to kill squirrels with steel shot. You're looking at a box of shells in that picture with only 4 used for the ducks lol. Bring that new gun down and let the boy put it to good use.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHOMP View Post
    Good luck on your project. If you feel like cutting a corner on the metal polishing you can buy a mossy oak graphic kit and lay camo vinly over it. It's $30 for the kit compared to $300ish to get it dipped. I did this for my shotgun because even though I do take good care of it, it rusts easy, is vary noticeable against the finish, and I hate seeing it. So far the wrap has lasted me 3 seasons, but I'll probably change it for next season. It has a couple small tears from use.

Oh and as a left handed shooter that still loads and does everything else in the world right handed....my shotgun is a Browning BPS my dad bought for me when I was 13.

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Gra.../dp/B005P7CL6O
    Noooo, not to the pretty old gun!!!!! To each his own I guess.

Did you shoot it?? I only ask again because my brother recently bought a pump rifle with similar external conditions and it wouldn't fire after he got it. Just saying.

I could see steel being an issue with squirrels! They are tough little buggers. Though not cheap, give Kent Bismuth a try. I used them in IA last year on pheasants and couldn't tell much of a difference between them and lead. They are non-toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    Noooo, not to the pretty old gun!!!!! To each his own I guess.

Did you shoot it?? I only ask again because my brother recently bought a pump rifle with similar external conditions and it wouldn't fire after he got it. Just saying.
    I have not shot it. While I like his camo pattern, this one will stay uncamo'd. I do have some products in mind to help weatherproof it.

I have not shot it yet, but everything appears to work as it should, up to and including dry-firing. If it doesn't fire, parts don't seem too hard to get and I'll get it up and running.

Took the boys for a quick overnighter to the cabin on this weekend. Took the Ithaca along for a test drive. Everytime my oldest picks it up he comments on how light it is. lol. No moving targets, but it apparently shoots to POA for him as all the cans "died" with one shot. It seems to fit him well!
    Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

Great looking combo of son & gun. Odd to me to see him stand on the other side of it.
    Last edited by elkduds; 05-30-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Both boys are left eye dominant, so teaching them to shoot LH. Makes it hard to find "deals" on the used rack, but I'd put this one in that category.

He's digging shotgunning more than I thought he would. Now I need to get him on some flying targets.

I recall the challenge you discussed of finding lefty weapons. Kudos to you for figuring out their eye dominance and then equipping them. Sets them up for success instead of frustration. Some beginners shoot flying Frisbees or paper plates before trying clay targets.

Quote Originally Posted by elkduds View Post
    I recall the challenge you discussed of finding lefty weapons. Kudos to you for figuring out their eye dominance and then equipping them. Sets them up for success instead of frustration. Some beginners shoot flying Frisbees or paper plates before trying clay targets.
    I might have to see how cheap I can find some frisbees! He's shot clays with another shotgun and did well once he got the hang of it. But, those were only targets going straight away from him. Which ever target it is, we'll be having some fun! Now I just need to decide on a recoil pad and get the LH safety ordered.

If he's hitting his targets, and not complaining about recoil, then I'd leave the LOP alone and maybe add a 1/2 inch pad at most. Gun looks like it fits well!
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

He said he thought it kicked less than my 870, but I didn't think so... One pad I'm considering would change LOP less than 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    He said he thought it kicked less than my 870, but I didn't think so... One pad I'm considering would change LOP less than 1/2".
    That's the fit issue for both of you

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    That's the fit issue for both of you
    It whacked my cheek a bit more than I expected, though I only shot it once. Plan on putting a few more through it to see if it was a one time thing.

When I shoot a gun that is too short, my thumb knuckle, not the comb busts my cheek. Took a while to realize what was hitting me. Anyway, that's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    When I shoot a gun that is too short, my thumb knuckle, not the comb busts my cheek. Took a while to realize what was hitting me. Anyway, that's my experience.
    That could be what I'm experiencing. I'll try to compare the LOPs between the 870 and the 37. I do have a Mossberg 500 that whacks my cheek pretty good at times, so I'm not unused to it. Which makes me wonder how consistent I am in mounting a shotgun.

Put a little chalk or something on your thumb next time and see what happens. Sounds like the average shotgun stock is too short for you, maybe.

I had to stop eating squirrel because they are high in cholesterol!

I have both and use them for different hunting conditions. If I'm out in the duck boat and drop a shotgun in a half frozen pond at 5:30 in the morning, I don't want it to be my Beretta Silver Snipe. If we're dove hunting on the high desert and I can see where I'm walking, the O/U is my choice. Years ago I was out shooting dove with a friend of mine. He had a beautiful Krieghoff over and under and I asked him what the practical difference was between my Charles Daly and his shotgun. He said "The only difference is when mine breaks, it costs more to fix it". Something I have always kept in mind when choosing a weapon for a particular task.

Quote Originally Posted by corndog1 View Post
    I had to stop eating squirrel because they are high in cholesterol!
    Cousin Eddie!!

Either a Browning or Winchester Pump. Strongly recommend against new Mossberg 500 or Remington 870- nothing but trouble with shells sticking in the chamber, and I mean stuck.

Cheaper than a double gun. Safer than an auto loader. Better quality for the money.

Control their ammo- one shell at a time- and the pump is safe as can be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234