First shotgun: O/U vs. Pump

In for a penny, in for a pound I suppose...

pix845702904.jpg

Will hopefully have this in hand sometime next week. Then I get to ding dong you folks for ideas for the remodel.

I didn't read all the responses, getting lazy in my old age.

I went with a youth model 20 gauge Weatherby SA-08. I did it strictly from a recoil. My kids are small and sensitive and I wanted to give them the easiest gun to shoot.

Don't go single shot 20 for most kids. Those will nock them on there arse.

1_pointer, I'd be happy to send you some short articles I have on refinishing stocks that were written by different gunmakers of notable repute. I'd also be willing to send you directions on doing your own rust bluing and building a boiling (not bluing) tank cheaply. You can do a professional rust blue on your first try with a little patience. I don't have and "expert's" article on polishing correctly but I can tell you how I do it.

Heck, if you want to do a leather covered buttpad just for fun. I can help with that too. Regardless of what you do, it will be a fun project.

The shotgun arrived. It's worn, but in pretty good shape. In fact, I'd say it's in roughly the same or better shape than the 870 I've had since I was 16. First order of business will be to replace the broken buttplate with a red recoil pad, install a lefthand safety, and replace the sight bead. Can't decide if I want to go with a KickEez or an Ithaca sunburst replica. My hangup is I can't decide if the sunburst is retro cool or tacky. The Pachmayr sporting clays pad was my first choice, but doesn't come in red any longer. I'll probably let my son decide on the site bead, but I'm leaning toward gold! It's only a few bucks more than brass. And it's gold! The wood's in pretty decent shape. Good enough that I'm wondering if I even need to bother with refinishing it. Other than the one really bad spot on the receiver, the metal's in pretty darn good shape. A few old, rust spots and some pitting. I'm thinking I'd like to refinish it, but not sure with what or how. In a bit of research, it seems that metal refinishing can be quite the rabbit hole to do down and I'm not sure how much time/energy/money I'm willing to put into that hole... All in all, the gun's in better shape than I expected as the pictures on the auction weren't very good. Might be why I got it for the price I did.

Anyway, here are the pictures
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

It would take a lot of polishing to get that receiver back to prime. If the rust and pitting issues are not impacting function, you can look at the cold blue kits from Birchwood Casey, etc and it's a fun project for son & dad, and it's not going to impact the value.

I don't think I'd refinish the stock. Checkering looks great and the finish isn't cracked or bubbling from what I can tell. A few scars are sexy on a working gun, IMO.

For the buttplate - replace with the one that fits the kid. Adding an entire inch on the length of pull may be a good idea in the next few years, but I'd look to replace the original buttplate with something similar. Recoil isn't going to be noticed much at the trap range or in the field, and likely, Jr. will be wearing heavier clothes for padding anyway.

The Decelarator in Red is my favorite pad as well. Not sure why they're so scarce anymore. The brown is nice though, and I think it would compliment this gun well.

The KickEez recoil pads come as thin as 15/16" or 3/4". The LOP on this is a touch shorter than the 870 he's shot well with, so I can't see that amount of change being that big of a deal. If it is, I'll shorten the stock and redo the pad. The Pachmayr sporting clays pads come in brown and black, but used to come in red. I like the looks of red and the KickEez comes in that, though a brown one wouldn't be bad either.

Cold blue is a consideration on the receiver. Another option I've considered is a bake on finish that either resembles blueing or French Gray if I really decide to go for 'bling'. Function seems to be fine. Everything moves and works properly without running any ammo though it, so metal work is down a bit on the list.

Wood will likely stay as delivered. It's in pretty darn good shape. And I think my son's more interested in shooting than a project....

Either way I'm thinking we'll have fun! :D

Duracoat, etc is a great alternative to cold blue.

Can't wait to see the photos of the kid busting roosters with his sweet new shotgun!

Nostalgia! Got my Ithaca 37 in about 1970, I was 12. My 1st gun. Hunted pheasant and grouse w it until I could afford a double in about 1995. Hoping you and your boy enjoy this one @ least as much.

Single shot 20 gauge. He will kill more game with it then any other shotgun. Once he figures out that he has ONLY one shot he will be deadly !

^^^This^^^
Single shot shotguns are quite cheap and very safe for a new hunter. I started my son off with one when he was about 10 years old and it really did teach him to pick his shot carefully and make it count.

Did you try shooting it? Another good option for site beads on shotguns might be to remove it completely:)

^^^This^^^
Single shot shotguns are quite cheap and very safe for a new hunter. I started my son off with one when he was about 10 years old and it really did teach him to pick his shot carefully and make it count.

They can be safe, but they are also cheaply (poorly) made. I have the one I started with. It has twice fired without a trigger pull. It was fixed after the first event, but did it again shortly after. It is a gun I can't sell, can't use, don't trust. I keep waiting for one of those gun buy-backs so I can soak them for a $100 or so. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I don't trust cheap singleshots and good singleshots are hard to find, expensive and usually dedicated trap guns not suited for the job here. That said, looks like the pump gun is at hand, and a it is a good candidate for restoration if wanted.

My suggestion for the butt would be to consider a simple thin buttplate for now to keep the stock short, but as the boy grows, you could add the thicker buttpad and get some extra length that he will need eventually.

You could do a leather covered buttpad - why not go overboard? :)

Good luck on your project. If you feel like cutting a corner on the metal polishing you can buy a mossy oak graphic kit and lay camo vinly over it. It's $30 for the kit compared to $300ish to get it dipped. I did this for my shotgun because even though I do take good care of it, it rusts easy, is vary noticeable against the finish, and I hate seeing it. So far the wrap has lasted me 3 seasons, but I'll probably change it for next season. It has a couple small tears from use.

Oh and as a left handed shooter that still loads and does everything else in the world right handed....my shotgun is a Browning BPS my dad bought for me when I was 13.

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Graphics-14004-OB-Obsession/dp/B005P7CL6O

Attachments

• Wood duck 4.jpg
    Wood duck 4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 56
Very nice haul!! The BPS was second on my list and I may still end up with one for the boys as I'd like something that can take 3" shells and steel shot. Ducks and squirrels is not a combo I'd have thought of together, but could see that making for a FUN day. The boys and I may need to venture to LA sometime... ;)

A fun morning it was except for trying to kill squirrels with steel shot. You're looking at a box of shells in that picture with only 4 used for the ducks lol. Bring that new gun down and let the boy put it to good use.

A fun morning it was except for trying to kill squirrels with steel shot. You're looking at a box of shells in that picture with only 4 used for the ducks lol. Bring that new gun down and let the boy put it to good use.

Good luck on your project. If you feel like cutting a corner on the metal polishing you can buy a mossy oak graphic kit and lay camo vinly over it. It's $30 for the kit compared to $300ish to get it dipped. I did this for my shotgun because even though I do take good care of it, it rusts easy, is vary noticeable against the finish, and I hate seeing it. So far the wrap has lasted me 3 seasons, but I'll probably change it for next season. It has a couple small tears from use.

Oh and as a left handed shooter that still loads and does everything else in the world right handed....my shotgun is a Browning BPS my dad bought for me when I was 13.

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Graphics-14004-OB-Obsession/dp/B005P7CL6O

Noooo, not to the pretty old gun!!!!! To each his own I guess.

Did you shoot it?? I only ask again because my brother recently bought a pump rifle with similar external conditions and it wouldn't fire after he got it. Just saying.

I could see steel being an issue with squirrels! They are tough little buggers. Though not cheap, give Kent Bismuth a try. I used them in IA last year on pheasants and couldn't tell much of a difference between them and lead. They are non-toxic.

Noooo, not to the pretty old gun!!!!! To each his own I guess.

Did you shoot it?? I only ask again because my brother recently bought a pump rifle with similar external conditions and it wouldn't fire after he got it. Just saying.
I have not shot it. While I like his camo pattern, this one will stay uncamo'd. I do have some products in mind to help weatherproof it.

I have not shot it yet, but everything appears to work as it should, up to and including dry-firing. If it doesn't fire, parts don't seem too hard to get and I'll get it up and running.

Took the boys for a quick overnighter to the cabin on this weekend. Took the Ithaca along for a test drive. Everytime my oldest picks it up he comments on how light it is. lol. No moving targets, but it apparently shoots to POA for him as all the cans "died" with one shot. It seems to fit him well!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back