Rain gear suggestions?

cmoore83

Anyone hunted POW have any suggestions as far a rain gear, I’ll be hunting there next spring and would like to add some quality gear to my kit before I head up there. Thanks!

If you want quality you will need to spend some coin. If you are willing I'd suggest any rain wear made my Kuiu or Sitka.

I haven't used it yet but I have just purchased the Kuiu Yukon set and was pleased with the quality and design. I will say the size is to the small size not really small but if you wear bulky items be sure to order large enough. I have traveled to Colorado early elk season and caught in several afternoon storms and I believe this will take care of that.

Helly Hanson Impertech.
Its non-breathable. Its water proof. It can be had for about $150.

Helly Hanson Impertech.
Its non-breathable. Its water proof. It can be had for about $150.

If you look right it can be had for a lot cheaper than that especially in off colors. It can't soak through no matter how much rain. Though it's far from invincible, it's pretty dang tough too.

When I went to AK this is what was recommended to me by someone born and raised and I use it a lot back home too.

I used HH Impertech for work and play in AK. It was water proof for sure. My biggest gripe was the fabric lining on the inside would wick moisture something terrible. There were days I was just standing in a boat fishing (i.e. not exerting myself) and after a few hours my sleeves were wet. By the end of the day my arms were wet to my shoulders. Not dripping wet, but annoyingly moist. Didn't seem to matter how tight I cinched the cuffs or what synthetic / wool layer I was wearing underneath, the end result was always the same.

I'm going to POW as well and I'm going to get a rubberized jacket, helly hansen or something similar. I have Gortex gear for the Rockies but I have noticed that even the best DWR tends to wet out if you spend all day in the rain.

I've had good luck with the Helly Hansen Voss line. It's pretty affordable and very waterproof.

Pardon my hijack, would you recommend fishing or neoprene waders, advantages/disadvantages of either?

A lot would depend on the weather and you're expected level of exertion. I'd go with the breathable "fishing waders". I can work up a sweat in either, but with neoprene all I have to do is a little walking to get them wet inside. For wader shoes, DO NOT use felt soles. Get soles that have spikes embedded for better footing on wet rocks, wet leaves and on grass. If you'll be in & out of rubber boats - don't get the spikes. :)

Helley Hansen Impertech worked for me the five years I was in Alaska. Wicking up the cuffs can be an issue in solid soakers, but it beats the whole jacket it self soaking through like lesser jackets tend to do.

And I should note that the wicking up only happened if I happened to be wearing long sleeves underneath. I attributed it to my underlayer more than the jacket.

If you look right it can be had for a lot cheaper than that especially in off colors. It can't soak through no matter how much rain. Though it's far from invincible, it's pretty dang tough too.

When I went to AK this is what was recommended to me by someone born and raised and I use it a lot back home too.

To pardon my over enthusiasm before, nothing is without it's drawbacks. It is non-breathable and relatively heavy. Personally, it's now my go to everywhere for now. I sweat so hard, nothing's going to breathe good enough for me anyways. Right now, I'm cutting weight in areas other than layers and rain gear. Unlike backpackers, I plan to sit glassing for long hours so I'm not going to be miserable just to cut 3 pounds altogether.

I've only been in them probably 150 hours personally. The dude who recommended to me claims the company might replace if you shred them in the brush. Apparently he did. I've gone through some brush in them and they are still fine with some cuts and scrapes, but clearly he hit some harder stuff.

I call it my human submarine outfit by the way. Especially when I have rubber footwear.

Last edited:
I've got other raingear as well, but the Helley Hansen Impertech is my go to rainwear as well. Doesn't matter what the weather conditions are, if it calls for rain at all its typically what I grab first. Mine has definately seen some better days and could use replacing, but I still wear it and still stay dry.

Pardon my hijack, would you recommend fishing or neoprene waders, advantages/disadvantages of either?

For POW go with breathable waders, neoprene would be way to warm. If you are hunting the coast you will probably be in your waders most of the day while hunting. I used felt soles when I was there, you definitely don't want rubber soles in rocky streams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back