Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

There goes my backyard state land

Doublecluck

Got this letter in the mail today. When we purchased our home we loved the fact that our back yard backed to a section of state land. We assumed (wrongly I guess) that this land would remain open space as agriculture/grazing land. Every morning I wake up and look out there and am reminded why we Moved to Montana. Obviously I will be writing a letter voicing my distaste for this proposal, but what else can I do? What endangered plants of animals should I go look for over there? Lol. Any suggestions? Probably sell the house and move somewhere more rural if this happens..

This is the Letter
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

This is a Whitetail that my daughter chased with her bow a few times over there. this picture was taken literally where the proposed storage facility would be located.
IMG_0274.PNG

This is the current view from my master bedroom window. Which if this goes thru will be the view of a storage facility. ouch...
IMG_0275.JPG

I'm sure someone said the same thing about the development you're in. I'm just as guilty, I literally called my sister to complain about the neighbors cutting a road up the hill across from me to build a new home, while standing in my freshly built new home.

Loss of habitat is never as real as when you have hunted on that spot and then it's gone. X number of acres lost per day doesn't mean much, but when you go to a spot where there is now a house or a road or a parking lot and say, "I used to hunt there." Shit gets real.

Bummer deal. State Trust Lands are about maximizing revenues for the trust. Sometimes that means reclassifying them from ag to commercial, and sometimes that means selling them outright to buy a better chunk that’ll make more money.

It’s one of the many reasons it’s true that state lands are not public lands.

Bummer. Hate sprawl. Infill more bueno. Hate the way state land offices do business at times.

Buy up the lease yourself I suppose. Probably not practical or even possible at this point. But if you had other neighbors, similarly disposed, then go for it, maybe.

This is another reason to oppose any politicians that would transfer Federal Land to State Land.

Got this letter in the mail today. When we purchased our home we loved the fact that our back yard backed to a section of state land. We assumed (wrongly I guess) that this land would remain open space as agriculture/grazing land. Every morning I wake up and look out there and am reminded why we Moved to Montana. Obviously I will be writing a letter voicing my distaste for this proposal, but what else can I do? What endangered plants of animals should I go look for over there? Lol. Any suggestions? Probably sell the house and move somewhere more rural if this happens..

Great time to sell is now, it's spring and you don't want to wait for the interest rates to go up farther (which they will).. Wifey is an RE agent if you need some help.

State you saw burrowing owls... those are protected somehow right....

Other than lying, which is never the right thing to do. Go in with friends/relatives if able and buy it if able, or accept the fact we as humans are growing and protecting every acre is a never ending battle.

Useless factoid, I can tell you how to look for burrowing owls :)
UOTE=Speeddmn;2700471]State you saw burrowing owls... those are protected somehow right....

Other than lying, which is never the right thing to do. Go in with friends/relatives if able and buy it if able, or accept the fact we as humans are growing and protecting every acre is a never ending battle.[/QUOTE]

My search pulls up no T&E species. I see your development was ag until about 2006. That state land is worth some $$.

This is another reason to oppose any politicians that would transfer Federal Land to State Land.

100% Correct! It's also the politicians on the right who keep pushing this PLT agenda. The big problem is that many will only vote for R politicians not matter what, even if it is to the detriment of public land.

Ah man, that sucks. Self-storage is about the laziest use of commercial property anyway.

You can request that due to the increase in traffic that a turn lane needs to be added. Developers hate that because it costs a fortune.

Ah man, that sucks. Self-storage is about the laziest use of commercial property anyway.

Not sure what constitutes lazy, but if I had the land and money I’d build one in a heartbeat. The ones near us are an absolute gold mine.

Not sure what constitutes lazy, but if I had the land and money I’d build one in a heartbeat. The ones near us are an absolute gold mine.

I'd be lazy every day if I owned some. As said, gold mine. mtmuley

Back