Is deer meat still good

Jasher

Is deer meat still good after about a year and a half in the freezer? I hope so I had some for lunch today. The first time I ever smoked anything. Bought a smoker at an auction last weekend and wanted to try it out. It tastes amazing.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180323_143930.jpg
    MVIMG_20180323_143930.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 583
  • MVIMG_20180323_143649.jpg
    MVIMG_20180323_143649.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 577
A few months ago, I cooked a couple of antelope shanks from 2015 in the crock pot. It was one of the best pot roasts I've made in recent years. If it passes the smell test, I eat it.

If its wrapped properly or vacuum sealed it lasts for years. Worst case scenario its gets a little freezer burn which also will not hurt you just tastes bad. I have ate lots of meet from my cows or elk over 4 years old. I am still still going. Certain meats burn easier also no matter how you wrap it. Fish will start to taste bad after a year. Pork also does not keep as long a red meat.

If its wrapped properly or vacuum sealed it lasts for years. Worst case scenario its gets a little freezer burn which also will not hurt you just tastes bad. I have ate lots of meet from my cows or elk over 4 years old. I am still still going. Certain meats burn easier also no matter how you wrap it. Fish will start to taste bad after a year. Pork also does not keep as long a red meat.

Ditto this /\

Yep, I found a package of mule deer steaks that got overlooked from 2015 and they were tasty. Look for a brown color and cut it off, that is freezer burn.

I usually have game meat that is 2+ years old in the freezer, except for a bit of freezer burn, always tastes as good as new.

Looks good! 1.5 years is no problem... Freezer burn and 2.5 - 3 + years is when I start raising my food quality flag.

I just ate a freezer fossil that was perhaps a decade old, perhaps slightly less. Pronghorn round steaks. I cut them in to cubes and cooked 'em in a stew. Tasty! And I lived to tell the tale.

Back