PEAX Equipment

The bighorn sheep small odds got me thinking. What tags have you had <1% odds?

A couple in the single digits, but nothing particularly impressive. Just once though, I would love to draw one of those < 0.00X odds tags that I have absolutely no business drawing.

You're luckier than you think you are. Here's a handful of region 3 moose tag odds charts, with the far right column being 0 points.

View attachment 81277

Kaitum- I didn't believe you had drawn that deer tag until I saw the dead deer.

I've drawn a few good tags, but was always at or near the top of the point pool when I drew them. I think the luckiest I've gotten was on my deer tag with maybe 5% odds. That was with ten points.

My wife and I were 13 when Montana started the points system for moose, sheep and goat. Theoretically we should be in the best position to draw sheep tags in our lifetime, but even in our situation the math will likely never put the odds in our favor. And it's impossible to project what kind of point system Montana will have or if sheep will even be huntable in 20-30 years. If I were 100% dead set on killing a ram I'd be looking at Alaska, and soon.

Randy at your rate I know your gonna be in the breaks chasing sheep any year now... I can't wait to follow the story

Some of you guys are Lucky SOB's. Toughest odds I've been able to beat was 15%. Besides that one tag, each and every tag i have ever had in my pocket i had to wait in line for my turn; either in years worth of points or in line at the Stop 'n Go.:W:

I managed to draw a gimme cow rifle tag here in E Wa. it was <1% odds.

But in WA if you draw any special permit it's likely close to 1% or worse.

Minnesota Moose <3% in first year applying. They no longer issue tags.

Oryx <5% in 2008 on 2nd time applying.

No good pulls beyond those 2.

Hey 10ptbuck what year did you draw that Alaska sheep tag and congrats on a great ram.

Oryx and NM oryx. I'm not sure it's <1%, but close.

I also have drawn the same NM elk archery unit the past 4 years in a row... that has to count for something :D

Been on a little bit of a lucky streak lately. These are all non-resident tags.

2012 Montana Mountain Goat
2015 Montana Bighorn Sheep
2016 Utah Early Rifle Boulder Elk
2017 Nevada Desert Bighorn Sheep

Had a lot of years of drawing nothing also.

If NM oryx is that long odds (less then 1%), I have drawn 3. I think there are about 3%. Of course I draw about every 8-10 years. Maybe, the original was 3% and odds have changed.

I am overdue for the 4th tag. I suspect the odds have changed.

DAMN YOUUUUU! haha. That's an impressive streak that's for sure....Congrats!

Personally haven't drawn Jack, but my hunting buddy and his wife have drawn quite a few....All Montana tags

....Wife drew Breaks bighorn ram with 0 points.

....Between them they've drawn a moose tag 3 times. Only killed one. He talked her out of shooting her's cause he thought they'd find bigger....they didn't. His 2nd was his first year after the 7-year wait.

....He drew a pretty tough Mtn goat tag on about 5 points

Another friend drew a NV Desert sheep tag a few years back

Had a lot of years of drawing nothing also.

Jesus man I need to have some of your luck wow!!!!

1 Montana moose 2009

1 bighorn ewe tag 2012

3 unlimited sheep tags:hump: 2015 2016 2017 18...... maybe

And I'm drawing my goat tag this year to forgot to throw that in the mix

Last edited:
If NM oryx is that long odds (less then 1%), I have drawn 3. I think there are about 3%. Of course I draw about every 8-10 years. Maybe, the original was 3% and odds have changed.

I am overdue for the 4th tag. I suspect the odds have changed.

Rhodes Canyon and Stallion Range are once in a lifetime and I think that's what they are referring to. Those are about 0.5%-2% the last 3 years.

I apply for Rhodes canyon every year and not drawn. Your are probably correct in your assumption.

Any on range hunt would be amazing. Never drawn the once in a lifetime, but you hunt side by side with those who have pulled the tag. Have hunted on Rhodes with my brother. Knocked down one of the biggest bulls I have seen. He got up and went into the restricted area. Could not go after him.

I am talking over the last 30 years. Now, I think it is once in a lifetime or broken horn.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, I've never drawn it either. I can't even draw <5% odds, I have no hope of beating <1% odds. I keep trying though!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back