Caribou Gear Tarp

1st Colorado Pronghorn hunt - HELP!

hcruz2017

Hello!
My name is Haley and I am planning a trip out West in September with my husband. We want to utilize our time there and hunt antelope. This will be our first DIY hunt out West and I am super stoked, but feeling a bit overwhelmed. I called a hunt planner today and he told me to stay East of 125. Thats great, but am finding it difficult to find public land there to hunt. Seems the majority of the land is private. I looked at some units East of 125, just really do not know where to start. Its a bit overwhelming to go out West when I am used to Ohio hunting. Its all I know, so it comes second nature to me to hunt turkeys or whitetails, but big game out west is a whole new beast. Any insight on units to look into or the best areas to hit, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, I will take all of the knowledge I can get!

Thats what everyone is telling me. My husband is going out for FEMA training with the fire department that's why we will be in Colorado. I don't even know where to begin to find a landowner. Everything I am seeing is that what is East of 125 is primarily private.

Where's the training at in Colorado? Denver?

I'd still plan for Wyoming and just allot a few days to head north and hunt.

The training is in Pueblo. It looks like that is approx. 3-4 hours from the WY border. I have not even looked into WY at all. Is the Southern part of the state a good area to hunt pronghorn?

Archery is OTC for either sex starting in September. The August portion of the season is bucks only. Any rifle tags is going to take anywhere from 4-6 points. That is in October. Muzzleloader takes a couple points, but there are units with leftover doe tags every year. That's the end of September. When is his training?

PS: A lot of Pueblo is a shithole. Pueblo West is really nice if that's where you're going to be. My wife is from Pueblo and she couldn't get out of there quick enough :cool:

Last edited:
I am not quite sure where the training is, as I am going out there after his training ends. We just really wanted to hunt in CO and i have always wanted to chase pronghorns, just really am struggling with finding where to go. I would like to stay east as the DNR told me, but public land is so limited!

Since you want to hunt after the training, I recommend not hunting CO for pronghorn but instead go to WY. You have until May 31 to submit your applications which will give you plenty of time to figure out where you can hunt in WY with decent access and 0 points. Pay attention to when the season dates are in each unit as they vary - some start in Sept. and others in Oct.

I am most definately going to look into WY. The DNR told me in CO to hit Unit 3 as it butts up against WY so the population is large there. Can you provide me with any insight as to what parts of WY are best? That is good time know about the season dates. What do you think about where to stay? I prefer to do some back country camping, but if it is mostly prairie I do not know that, that is the best option. Any thoughts on that?

I am most definately going to look into WY. The DNR told me in CO to hit Unit 3 as it butts up against WY so the population is large there. Can you provide me with any insight as to what parts of WY are best? That is good time know about the season dates. What do you think about where to stay? I prefer to do some back country camping, but if it is mostly prairie I do not know that, that is the best option. Any thoughts on that?

I think you guys need to spend a lot of time on the Wyoming F&G website between now and the application deadline 5/31.

The "best" areas in Wyoming will be very difficult to draw. But there are "good" units in Wyoming with much better odds. I'm assuming you both have zero preference points. Your required dates will whittle down your unit choices quite a bit if you're rifle hunting, but there are some options that open that early.

Are you willing to hunt does or bucks only?

Finding a place to camp on the prairie is no problem at all, just pull off the side of the road on some BLM. The only issue I've had camping is the wind; last year we camped about an hour south in the mountains and drove to our unit to hunt each day. You should probably wait until you've drawn a unit to decide where to stay, some have hotels close by and some do not.

Correct we do not have points. I am willing to hunt ether, as I truly just love the experience. Obviously a buck would be nice, but am willing to take a doe. Thanks for the information on camping. I prefer to back country camp as that is just what I love. Will start researching Wyoming today. I will check out the F and G also. We planned on hunting elk in Colorado but that fell through which is why we have switched our focus to pronghorn. I am super excited as I have always wanted to antelope hunt. It’s just a lot to learn. I can hunt white tails on our 300 acres all day long, so learning a new area and new species is a lot. I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!! I will start researching that today. How many days do you
Give yourself usually to pronghorn hunt?

Thank you!! I will start researching that today. How many days do you
Give yourself usually to pronghorn hunt
?

A week is good if you can swing it. Most times you can get it done in a day or 2 if you want, but you never know when rain, snow storms, etc. will limit your access to your hunting area.

Aren't those dates too early for pronghorn in both Wyoming and Colorado?

At least, with a rifle.

I find it hilarious the difference between females and males asking for opinions. Ma'am you're so thorough and responsive, half the time we get newbies on here asking the same question, they'll post a question with no previous research hoping to get hand fed and they get a half assed response. Then they won't respond to those and the thread dies lol then there's always the OP trying the hail mary with the infamous "Bump"

Kudos to you!:eek::hump:

Hope you guys have a great hunt this fall! I also highly recommend WY.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back