Possible dry fire - how to tell if bow is ok?

AtenJones

So, I bought a Tru-Fire draw check a few weeks ago to work in a few practice draws inside without risking a dry-fire. Huge mistake. The thing just broke while I was letting down, and sent a missile flying across the room, shattering a window. I’ve checked the bow out, and everything seems fine (can’t feel any cracks in the carbon), but how can I tell if it’s ok? I’m hoping I escaped any damage since I was in the process of letting-down, and it sent the “release”, which was hooked into the D-loop, across the room, so it was at least pushing some weight as it flew. Any thoughts?

E9555CF2-6061-4596-ADFE-E0DB79785084.jpg22A72B2F-6258-4CFD-BA9B-9175C8C6C50F.jpg

Man scary stuff, but I don't have any advice on that. Maybe take it into the bow shop? Curious what others with more experience on this would say

Take a damp cotton ball and run in across the limbs to check for splinters. Also, I'd run it to a pro shop just to be safe when you get time.

Take a damp cotton ball and run in across the limbs to check for splinters. Also, I'd run it to a pro shop just to be safe when you get time.

This.

I don't know what bow you have but many new ones tout being able to be dryfired, not that I would advocate it.

Also there are strengthening tools you can get like this.

Have someone stand in front/behind you as you draw it to look for bent cam or cams.Take it to a shop.

Man thats heavy. The only way to be 100% sure is to take it to a shop and have someone go over it while in a bow press etc. It sounds like youre going to be ok. Last week, I watched a guy trying to shoot a hinge for the first time let go of the release and fire that whole release right through his riser. So heavy and totally detonated his bow.

Take it to a shop and have a pro check it out, worth a few minutes of your time...I know from experience. I dry-fired my first bow on accident. It sounded like a gunshot, welted my arm, literally scared the piss out of the dog, send little rubber dampers and things flying around the room, my new wife was not impressed with my cool-guy archery hobby...

you said it sent a missile across the room and broke a window. I assume a practice arrow or something was nocked? That should have absorbed the energy from the bow and no harm should have been done. EDIT EDIT!! I just re-read your post and realized the release was the projectile...lol...lol,
yea I would look that over close.

cotton ball test is a good idea. look over cams and climbs closely.

I let a Mathews slip from my fingers once standing in my kitchen. I was at half draw coming down. The damage was obvious! and expensive. Blew cam up and cracked limb.

Last edited:
you said it sent a missile across the room and broke a window. I assume a practice arrow or something was nocked? That should have absorbed the energy from the bow and no harm should have been done.

I let a Mathews slip from my fingers once standing in my kitchen. The damage was obvious! and expensive. Blew cam up and cracked limb.

I think he meant the part of the release that came loose is what flew through the room and window.

A couple of years ago my idiot brother-in-law dry fired my bow and other than knocking the string of the cam it looked ok. I took it in to have it re-strung and the tech noticed that 1 of the little bushings that center the wheel was gone and the one next to the cam was cracked. Had I been able to restring the bow myself I would not have noticed until my bow started shooting badly.

I had to google "draw check" because I didn't know what you were talking about. First result: "Designed to eliminate accidents due to dry firing of a bow."

Awesome Success

I think he meant the part of the release that came loose is what flew through the room and window.

If it was an arrow I bet it would have made it through the screen, plus I'm sure he would know its fine if it did send an arrow. If you have a good pro shop go there but it its one that hires new kids off the block every other year you are almost better off checking it yourself with a cotton ball.

Definitely have the string and cables replaced. When they do that they can check to make sure axles and cam isn't bent. With limb technology today I doubt they will be cracked.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back