MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Mountain Goat HD Closures

That is my question too. The USFWS has managed raptors so well, and the great increase of Golden Eagles should have a big impact on the young kids.

That is my question too. The USFWS has managed raptors so well, and the great increase of Golden Eagles should have a big impact on the young kids.

Read the study...predation isnt listed as the number one reason the goats are declining. Killing eagles may "feel" like the right thing to do, but its not going to do much, if anything, to help goat recovery.

Its interesting to note, that in Washington any population under 100 animals isn't even hunted at all. The Authors of the report I posted, recommended no hunting on populations less than 50. On goats with populations over 50...no more than 1-4% rate of annual harvest. Montana has been issuing about 5.5% for their native herds and 7.7% on introduced herds with some as high as 20%. Also, since 1960, 38% of the goats killed have been nannies.

While its convenient to blame eagles and other predators, the data suggests over-harvest is likely the leading cause of population decline.

Thanks for that research Buzz. Very interesting.

Read the study...predation isnt listed as the number one reason the goats are declining. Killing eagles may "feel" like the right thing to do, but its not going to do much, if anything, to help goat recovery.

Its interesting to note, that in Washington any population under 100 animals isn't even hunted at all. The Authors of the report I posted, recommended no hunting on populations less than 50. On goats with populations over 50...no more than 1-4% rate of annual harvest. Montana has been issuing about 5.5% for their native herds and 7.7% on introduced herds with some as high as 20%. Also, since 1960, 38% of the goats killed have been nannies.

While its convenient to blame eagles and other predators, the data suggests over-harvest is likely the leading cause of population decline.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back