Your Favorite Outdoor Authors?

I have read the two volumes, volume one and three, of Duncan Gilchrist bighorn sheep. I collect outdoor and adventure books. BTW, I cannot find Volume two of Duncan Gilchrist book Monster Bighorn of Montana. Looking to find this volume along with his book Hunt High. I have read many authors but find Russell Annabelle to be one of my favorites along with Jack O’Conner. There are so many and more that I want to read to vicariously hunt through their writings and adventures. MTG

My other Grandpa, not the one with the huge cattle ranch, farm, with great places to hunt bucks, the one that worked for the County keeping control of invasive plants and critters, kept me in subscriptions to Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, and Field & Stream from the mid 60's thru the early 70's. As each monthly edition would arrive, i'd seclude to my room, read the latest cover to cover, then stack it placed neatly in the appropriate row down in the bottom drawer of my big old dresser.

I still have the dresser, wish i had been able to save those old editions too. My favorite is easy to mind, much looked forward to each month as i hunted along with him, Jack O'Connor.

Another vote for Jack O'Connor. I don't know how many times I've read some of his books. Every few years I also re-read Elmer Keith's Hell, I Was There! Duncan Gilchrist. Andy Russell. Plus Pat McManus. My Mother actually used to refer to me and a childhood friend as "Pat and Crazy Eddie." Sigurd Olsen because I used to go the Boundary Waters every summer as a kid. Enjoyed all of Peter Hathaway Capstick's stuff except for Warrior...seemed like he had a man crush on Meinertzhagen. Although dated, Teddy Roosevelt's stuff, especially Hunting Trips of a Ranchman, is still quite enjoyable and worth a read. I never had too much interest in India, but Jim Corbett's books are awesome.

Under the same somewhat loose parameters of CJ Box as an outdoor writer I'm going to mention John T. Nichols and Norman Maclean.

A stricter definition, for me, is Ruark and Capstick.

Got to go with a couple northwoods Wisconsin guys first: Jack Kulpa and Gordon MaQuarrie. Also, Sigurd Olsen, Tom Reed, Rick Bass. I'm sure there are more, that's just off the top of my head

Surprised I have not seen E Donnal Thomas on this list. Another author that wrote 2 good bird hunting books is Jim Fergus.

Elmer Keith, Warren Page,John Wooters, Jim Zumbo, Mike Eastman....and many others in my library.
Warren Page's "One Man's Wilderness" is a very good read. But, I do have to warn you, it may rachet up the wonderlust a bit. I know it did for me.

O'connor, Capstick and McManus remain my favorites. I do read some of Boddingtons stuff and find Petzal to be a humorous read at times.

Lots of good authors mentioned.

Howard Copenhaver, who was a guide in what is now the Bob Marshall and Scapegoat Wilderness's, wrote a few books that are written in the form hunting stories told around a campfire. I've read them and reread them multiple times.

The first half of Bud Moore's "Lochsa Story", is basically a book about trapping and is fantastic.

Stanley Vestal. He was more of a historian, but wrote of the Rockies and the people that survived in them. Jack London is another great wilderness story teller; “to build a fire” is an all time classic.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back