Caribou Gear

Halo XRT7 AI Technology Problem

Matty B

Recently purchased a used Halo XRT7 rangefinder with AI technology (angle compensation) as a back-up and for my old lady to use. Had it out in the hills yesterday and when I was ranging uphill it would give me a shorter distance than the straight line distance and vise versa when ranging downhill. For example when ranging uphill it would range 300 in line of sight mode and would giving me a range of 265 in the angle compensation mode. Anyone have any similar issues with the angle compensation technology from Halo.

I understand that this Halo rangefinder isn't top of the line but I just don't understand why the readouts seem to be backwards when using the angle compensating mode?

An angle compensated distance, whether uphill or downhill, will always be less than a straight line distance. Your example of the uphill range you measured would equate to roughly a 28* angle. If you are getting readings where the angle compensated distance is FARTHER than the straight line distance, then you have a faulty unit.

I have no experience with Halo products, so I can't speak to the quality of their product.

Just as smalls stated, when compensating for angle, the compensated distance should ALWAYS be shorter than the line of sight distance because gravity only affects POI (point of impact) over the horizontal distance.

If your rangefinder is not doing this, I would contact the manufacturer's customer service and work from there. Maybe there is a setting within the rangefinder that needs changed in order for the angle compensation to work properly.

I also have no experience with Halo products.

Back