Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone here vacation on the Oregon or Washington Coast?

We've been thinking a vacation along the OR coast as well. Anyone visit Coos Bay? Newport is on our list as well.

WA, we've visited Friday Harbor w/in the San Juan Islands. That was really enjoyable! Rented scooters and peddeled around the island. Visited many locations, light houses, whale watching points, old forts, a winery, lavender farm, etc... My wife went on a kayaking excursion within the whale corridor. She had a blast! I was stuck at home with an annoying allergy fit.

I lived on Whidbey Island for a spell (WA). Went fishing for salmon frequently. Langley and Clinton are beautiful.

Best to you and your vacation. Would enjoy reading your take on the areas you visited, especially if you happen to visit Coos Bay area.

We go to Coos Bay to visit an Army Buddy every other year. That whole coast is fun to visit IMO. Canon Beach, Astoria, Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, Indian Beach Trail etc etc. Tons of great places to stop off along way. We like to just drive and see where we end up.

Lot's of great breweries, places to get excellent seafood and take in the sights.

Pack your rain gear.

Nemont

Up and down the OR Coast many, many times, but were towing a TT. Have to admit the So Oregon coast has been our favorite. Late summer before last had a great time and crossed over to Crescent City CA to see that part of the redwoods and was spectacular. Came back up through Central OR to home.

I live in Pacific City which is about an hour North of Newport. If you end up in this neck of the woods I could give you a heck of a list of cool things to do that are off the beaten path. June can be beautiful but could still be raining. We never cut hay until July 5th when I was a kid. You can count on it not raining in July and August. September is by far the best month if it is nice weather and it usually is.

Lot’s of folks have already made some great recommendations. If you want something more private, I’d look into finding an Air B&B around one of the towns mentioned above. We’ve done that several times and had great experiences. Tu Tu Tun Lodge in Gold Beach is a special place, but pretty spendy. If your wife is looking for a nice resort, that’d be a good one. Plus it would put you close too the redwoods, and like Huntingwife said, the redwoods are their own sort of religious experience. The weather is unpredictable, but it seems like there’s always a couple weeks in May when it’s spectacular, then the rain comes back for a couple weeks in June before summer really kicks off.

If you do make it out and are interested in some fly fishing (not on the coast, but in Central Oregon) PM me. Late June and early July is one of the best times of year on the Deschutes. The salmonfly crowds are gone and the splash-and-giggle rafting crowd hasn’t descended on the river yet. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I just booked a room in Newport. I'll be sure to report back after the trip. We are really excited to see some new country.

We are going to take our time driving over and back so that we can see the sites. We could take a north or south route. If anyone has any recommendations of things we need to see, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 47
Going that middle route through Central Oregon is a neat drive. It'll take you through some cool towns with lots to do (Bend, Sisters). I really like Prairie City. There's a little country art gallery there that sells some great original art for cheap.

If you go the northern route you'll get there quicker, but it'll also take you through the big cities--which may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective. But, that would also take you through the gorge, which is beautiful and full of Lewis & Clark history.

I would recommend the old highway that parallels I-84 between Dodson and approximately Corbet (between Hood River and Portland). You get a much closer look at a lot of the waterfalls along that section. It can be busy so take it slow. I might also suggest heading out through the OR coast range further north, then following 101 south to Newport.

I would recommend the old highway that parallels I-84 between Dodson and approximately Corbet (between Hood River and Portland). You get a much closer look at a lot of the waterfalls along that section. It can be busy so take it slow. I might also suggest heading out through the OR coast range further north, then following 101 south to Newport.

I agree, but a lot of that road is still closed from the big fire last summer. May be open again by the time you come through. Look into it.

Another route, quite a bit longer, time-wise, is to go over Lolo Pass down the Lochsa and Clearwater through Lewiston, Dayton, Walla Walla, essentially following Lewis and Clark, beautiful country.

Dean Creek elk viewing area just east of Reedsport about 3 miles is a good place to catch some Rosies.

Lots of fun stuff to do on the Oregon Coast, you will stay busy, take binos, spotter and bird books.

Over the years I think I've driven just about ever route there is going back and forth from college, visiting family, etc. They all have really cool parts and really boring parts, but they are all different. The stuff along the Columbia Gorge is neat, many of the quintessential Oregon waterfalls can be found between Hood River and Troutdale. Watch for sheep in the cliffs above the interstate east of The Dalles. The Lochsa route Caseknife mentioned is gorgeous, but slow. The route through Burns is Great Basin country, and you could stop and visit Malheur! :) The route through John Day is kind of canyon-y and there are fossil beds there that might be a fun stop if kids need a break. Get around Bend and it's volcanic high desert. I always loved going to the High Desert Museum as a kid...just south of Bend a few minutes. Worth a stop for wildlife/natural history buffs. I haven't been there since I was a kid but it made an impression on me for some reason. Also there are lava tubes at Newberry Crater (or National Monument now maybe?) and other volcanic features to explore.

Lots to see no matter which way you go.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back