MSR Trail Shot

D-Mac

Hey guys!
Curious if anyone has experience with this particular water filter. How’s the flow rate? Longevity of filters? Over all experience with it.

I’m running a sawyer squeeze filter now, I like it except it’s a little slow and filling up the bag is clumsy. Thinking about upgrading and I like the idea of a 5 oz pump filter. Thanks in advance!

I've got one neat little filter but not the best if you are gathering water for more than one person. My major issue is you have to squeeze it to filter the water through so better not be filtering large quantities or you better make sure your forearms are in shape! It's easy to back flush though and takes up little to no space!

Agre with NYSKIER... I used one on my mountain goat hunts this last season and it for sure did the job, and the size is really nice, but it does take some time and effort to fill a full bladde or Nalgene. Overall, I think it performs well for what it is, but if you are looking to use it a lot, or for longer trips / more people there are better options.

I have one that I keep as my backup option to my steripen. It weighs very little and will do in a pinch, but for larger quantities of water, I use the Steripen. If for any reason the Steripen stops working (which it never has), I at least have a way to get water. It also works good to keep handy for a quick drink if I am crossing a stream and don't want to set up the Steripen.

I used one last year for an elk hunt. Flow rate is good, but the pumping did make my hand cramp a little when pumping more than a couple liters of water. I don't really think it was designed for this, however. Definitely nice to have if you are in an area with good amounts of water and you can refill often. If you are packing in for more than a few days I would bring something a little more suited for larger amounts of water.

I have one and used it on a mule deer hunt up in the mountains this past fall. I would agree with the others. Super light, decent flow rate, but wears your forearm out squeezing it. I filled up a 2 liter platypus bladder and a 1 liter platypus water bottle that is used for my cook kit. This worked very well for that amount. If was using it for a few people and/or a camp, then I would have used my Katadyn Guide filter instead. But for the way I hunted this year it was perfect.

I used one last year. Works pretty well, as stated above. My hunting partners grew pretty impatient when it took me twice as long to fill up though. I adapted that by filling my 5 liter water bag (1.5 oz weight) directly from the stream, then filtering out of that when I had more time back at camp. All in all, it over-complicated things for me. This year I'll be carrying a katadyn pump style that I've shaved down to about 10 oz, so very little additional weight over the MSR and a water bag combo.

I use mine as a backup. My main purification option is chlorine dioxide tablets, but I get out the Trail shot for nasty water that needs filtering.

I got about 15 liters through mine last year before it stopped pumping. Backflushed it a dozen times and could never get it to working worth a crap. My backup was a Sawyer squeeze which I quickly figured out was actually easier to fill my three liter bladder with.

Thanks guys! I’m normally by myself or with one other person, so not to concerned about filling up a lot of containers. I appreciate the responses!

Hey guys!
Curious if anyone has experience with this particular water filter. How’s the flow rate? Longevity of filters? Over all experience with it.

I’m running a sawyer squeeze filter now, I like it except it’s a little slow and filling up the bag is clumsy. Thinking about upgrading and I like the idea of a 5 oz pump filter. Thanks in advance!

I switched from Sawyer squeeze over to Katadyn last summer. Much better water flow rate and doesnt stick out from the bottle which I found annoying at times. Katadyn also has pump systems to if thats what you want but just seems like to much work when there are simpler options that work great. I run the BeFree 1L if I'm solo and I love it - simple fast and easy and its collapsible. If Im with other people I add a gravity feed system. I always have a Steripen and a few aquamira tabs for emergencies.

https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/31462-8018006-katadyn-befree-1.0L_usa-

Also if you continue to use a sawyer squeeze, there are some really good hacks out there - most people I saw on the trails used smart water bottles and ditched the sawyer bags with a smaller cut off water bottle as a filler scoop cup. Here is a great vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXnQ3mCBo9s

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back