Hinge Releases, Anyone?

MinnesotaHunter

Hey,

Just seeing if there are any folks on here that have tried out the hinge release craze that has been going on the last year or so?

I was given a Scott Longhorn a couple years ago, and decided to mess with it last summer. It did an amazing job of ensuring I was doing the fundamentals well, but I went back to my Spott Hogg Wiseguy (wrist strap) for hunting.

The other day I got my hands on a Tru Ball HT Hinge Release, that fit my hand way better, and am going to work with that one this summer.

I am interested to hear what other guys/gals have found with these, and if you have any lessons to share.

I haven't but would like to try one. I haven't bought a release in a LONG time. I was shocked when I saw what they cost now. I'm really wanting to go back to a handheld, thumb release. I really like leaving it attached to the bow vs on my wrist for tree stand hunting. Then again, due to trips and family schedules I haven't bow hunted in 4 years...

Since 2010, For all of my indoor, field, outdoor target or 3D shooting I exclusively use a hinge release (namely a Scott Longhorn Pro). For hunting I use a thumb button Scott Sigma. They are tremendous training aids and help with a multitude of issues including proper alignment, aiming issues, TP issues, etc. They just teach you to execute a better shot once you become comfortable with them. I just started doing a weekly podcast (Archery Uncensored) with Braden Gellenthien and we discuss proper setup and execution of a hinge release quite often. John Dudley also discusses hinge releases on his podcast a lot.
If you are not very experienced with a hinge I really suggest setting it up very cold i.e. with lots of travel in the release before it fires. Pros such as Nathan Brooks, Eric Griggs, and Braden set their releases with a lot of travel, watch any video of them shooting and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
I love practicing with a hinge I just think it's a sound way of how a shoot should be executed mechanically. With that being said I always seem to go back to my wrist rocket (index release) during hunting season.

I haven't but would like to try one. I haven't bought a release in a LONG time. I was shocked when I saw what they cost now. I'm really wanting to go back to a handheld, thumb release. I really like leaving it attached to the bow vs on my wrist for tree stand hunting. Then again, due to trips and family schedules I haven't bow hunted in 4 years...

Try and snag one on ebay used or something. I got my Scott from a guy who bought it, and never put the time in to figuring it out. I bet alot of folks buy them and don't figure them out.

I only use a hinge. I started using a hinge about 8 years ago for my indoor & 3d archery. It became second nature, so I hunt with it too. In fact, going back to a trigger or thumb will make me start punching & flinching in a matter of time. A hinge can be 'cheated', so you can time your shot if you if you need to get one off in a hurry. I shoot a Stan Jet Black.

Try and snag one on ebay used or something. I got my Scott from a guy who bought it, and never put the time in to figuring it out. I bet alot of folks buy them and don't figure them out.
I may have to do that. Hoping to at least do more bow shooting this summer with the boys.

I may have to do that. Hoping to at least do more bow shooting this summer with the boys.

Take a look at the Truball Sweet Spot if you are going to give it a shot and are worried about punching yourself while drawing. It is equipped with a safety you leave on until you are comfortable with your anchor and have the pin floating. I wish this had been the first hinge I shot with, just to build some confidence as I got started. Both of my releases have a "safety bar" that you wrap your thumb around during the draw, and take it off once you start pulling through. If you need to let down you just wrap your thumb back around it.

Also, I have always drawn my bow back towards my shoulder as apposed to straight back towards my mouth, so it hasn't been an issue.

I started shooting a carter solution in 2006 and it brought me back from a wicked case of target panic. I still shoot it the best but it helped my index release tremendously as well. I recommend them to everyone with any kind of target panic. I would have given up archery if I wouldn’t have had someone let me borrow a hinge

Take a look at the Truball Sweet Spot if you are going to give it a shot and are worried about punching yourself while drawing. It is equipped with a safety you leave on until you are comfortable with your anchor and have the pin floating. I wish this had been the first hinge I shot with, just to build some confidence as I got started. Both of my releases have a "safety bar" that you wrap your thumb around during the draw, and take it off once you start pulling through. If you need to let down you just wrap your thumb back around it.

Also, I have always drawn my bow back towards my shoulder as apposed to straight back towards my mouth, so it hasn't been an issue.
Thanks for the suggestion and info!

I've been shooting one, a True-Fire Sear exclusively since last summer, including hunting with it in elk season. It is helping me tremendously with my years and years of TP issues. It is a lot of work and an on-going process, but is amazing to be able to come to full draw and have the ability to let my pin float on the target once again.

My first hinge was a 3 finger black Stanislawski (back in 1993) things sure have changed since then. The best advice I can give you is to try a few different ones out and see if you find one that really fits your hand. TRU Ball, Stan, Carter, Scott, and TruFire all make some nice hinges. Look for one with a thumb peg (pretty much standard these days) and look for one that allows you to adjust the click length or set to no click. A real nice feature about the TruBall Fulkrum is the ability to adjust the head to be more over your index finger or slide it back towards your middle finger...this totally changes the feel of the release and the effort it takes to rotate it.

I am working with a longhorn hunter currently but want a full handheld to at least tinker with as the wrist strap makes it less of a true hinge to my pea brain, but the improvement over a regular trigger wrist release is real.

Hinge release? You mean back tension releases? If so, I only hunt with my bow so I have no use for a back tension release.

Hinge release? You mean back tension releases? If so, I only hunt with my bow so I have no use for a back tension release.

A hinge and a back tension release in my mind are two different kinds of releases but often get confused for the same thing. He said hinge so I’m assuming he’s talking about a hinge...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back