MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hello from Iowa

krojemann

Hello from Iowa. After a long time of hiding low and getting my Western fix from reading everyone's posts, I've decided it was time to finally join. I've been a member of other various western forums, not sure why it took so long to join. I'm like many I'm sure, I'm from the Midwest, but addicted to hunting elk. I moved to Iowa pretty much for the whitetail hunting. If I had to do it again I'd strongly consider moving west instead. I've only hunted Colorado and Montana I the past, but this year my buddy and I have drawn general tags in Wyoming. I've been researching and internet scouting like crazy since. I have a few spots picked out, but not dead set on them yet simply because of the grizzlies. I've mostly been doing my internet scouting around units 67, 68, and 81. Might start expanding my search south of Jackson in case we choose to avoid the grizzlies. Of course I have a ton of questions, but that's half the fun I guess. If anyone has any experience with these units, I'd be all ears.

Welcome from another Iowan (and frequent Wyoming trespasser).

I've hunted those units in the past. They are good ones but the Wilderness Areas are a PITA for Iowans, unless you have friend with a guide ticket.

Welcome from another Iowan (and frequent Wyoming trespasser).

I've hunted those units in the past. They are good ones but the Wilderness Areas are a PITA for Iowans, unless you have friend with a guide ticket.

Thanks. Yeah, the wilderness law stinks, but there still arrears to be a fair amount of non-wilderness in 67. 68 & 83 doesn't have any. If you don't mind me asking, why was the wilderness a pain? Was it the lack of other real estate around it ? Or more that the elk like to hang in the wilderness vs non-wilderness? If you'd rather not answer, I understand. Or if you'd rather I PM, I can. Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome from a neighbor and best wishes on your WY elk hunt. These guys taught me a LOT about elk, mule deer and antelope hunting.

Thanks. Yeah, the wilderness law stinks, but there still arrears to be a fair amount of non-wilderness in 67. 68 & 83 doesn't have any. If you don't mind me asking, why was the wilderness a pain? Was it the lack of other real estate around it ? Or more that the elk like to hang in the wilderness vs non-wilderness? If you'd rather not answer, I understand. Or if you'd rather I PM, I can. Thanks

The best country tends to be the Wilderness areas. Usually, I have access, but that means I have to depend on another person. the realestate around the WA can be good, or not, depending on timing. A few years ago there was a big snow up in the high country and in Yellowstone right before opening morning - so all the bulls were literally down on the roads, where they died. Two days later, they were back up high in the Wilderness Areas. I started hunting on Day 3.

Where in Iowa are you at? I'm in Story County. If you are nearby, I'd be happy to meet and chat with you a little - though I don't claim to be any sort of expert.

The best country tends to be the Wilderness areas. Usually, I have access, but that means I have to depend on another person. the realestate around the WA can be good, or not, depending on timing. A few years ago there was a big snow up in the high country and in Yellowstone right before opening morning - so all the bulls were literally down on the roads, where they died. Two days later, they were back up high in the Wilderness Areas. I started hunting on Day 3.

Where in Iowa are you at? I'm in Story County. If you are nearby, I'd be happy to meet and chat with you a little - though I don't claim to be any sort of expert.

I've read that a few times, that the bulls don't come out of the wilderness until the snow pushes them out. That's also what has me second guessing unit 67. I'm from Dubuque County.

I've read that a few times, that the bulls don't come out of the wilderness until the snow pushes them out. That's also what has me second guessing unit 67. I'm from Dubuque County.

Welcome from Allamakee County, my wife works in Dubuque County, Dyersville to be exact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back