Bear spray guys

TheSurveyor

All you guys that tote bear spray. How do you transport it? Just curious if you keep them in an ammo can or something in the back of your truck? Do you just toss it in and nor give it a second thought? I've heard of them going off in a vehicle and the insurance totals it because you can't get that stuff out. I don't carry it here in Colorado but I did buy some last yr for a ID panhandle hunt. I tossed in in the cabinet in the garage and didn't give it another thought until the other day when I seen it and thought I should do something with it. Thought about a piece of pvc with caps for the garage. Just made me wonder about the truck if I were to take it out somewhere.

I wouldn't think about it too much. Just don't let it get too hot and you'll be fine. I've had a few cans in my garage for awhile and haven't had any issues. I heard of a story of a women who left a can on her dash in Grand Teton NP over the summer and it exploded and ruined everything in her car. If it's hot out, crack a window or put the spray in the bed where its most likely cooler.

One of the bear spray companies makes a plastic tube with a yellow lid and a foam wrap. You wrap the foam around the can then put it upside down in the can. Supposedly if it ever were to go off or leak the foam absorbs the capsaicin (I’m going off memory).

I have a few and usually keep the cans in it. I’m not worried in the garage but come summer and fall my hiking then hunting pack is almost always in the truck and I always have my bear spray.

Ammo can in truck and one in garage, never comes into house. Very unlikely but does happen, if it did you would be happy its contained and only lost a ammo can.

I have had one go off on my pack while outside and eventually get on my clothes. I can say without a doubt that you don't want it to go
off in your vehicle or in the house.

In hind sight, I got off lucky. Someone mentioned to me that there are wipes that made specifically for this issue. I haven't found them yet. But everything
I tried to use to clean it up while in the back country did not work

Last edited:
I don't give it a second thought. I have a friend at the airport and she has to gather them as passengers forget they can't take them on the plane. I donate them to our scout group but I have so many now 30+. I have them all over the place in cars, trucks, under seats, in the house etc... I haven't had an issue in 3 yrs of collecting. I have had them freeze, be in the back window of the car and nothing. I accidentally sprayed myself (Legs/hands) while sneaking in on a dead smelling animal but that a was just my stupidity for bumping the trigger as I put it on my holster. I can tell you that once its on your skin don't try to wash it off. It will activate it and you'll feel like your skin is on fire LOL

Lawnboy
" I can tell you that once its on your skin don't try to wash it off. It will activate it and you'll feel like your skin is on fire LOL "

I second that :hump: I tried repeatedly to wash it off. It burned all day long and some more that night when I took a shower

I have carried the LE version on my duty belt for years. Never had a problem : -20'F on snowmobile, 95'F on boat patrol, bouncing on ATV, etc. I also had to take a direct hit in the face with the stuff prior to being certified to carry the stuff. Nasty !!!!!

Counter Assault makes a can you can put it in for like $6 but I throw mine into a plastic tub in the bed of my truck.

Mine stays in my velcroed shut holster 24/7. The holster is usually on the waist belt of my backpack which comes in the house, gets thrown in the truck, etc. Been carrying it around like that for 10+ yrs. No problems.

Mine stays in my velcroed shut holster 24/7. The holster is usually on the waist belt of my backpack which comes in the house, gets thrown in the truck, etc. Been carrying it around like that for 10+ yrs. No problems.

That is how i carried mine, strapped to the waist belt of my main pack. tossed it on the ground, the safety came off (this was a brand new can bot the day before), the pack rolled over and pressed the trigger and off it went. Pretty
much everywhere. I am not so cavalier with it now:W:

pepper oils are oil soluble. Don't know if it works for bear spray but when I cook with hot peppers I wash my hands in oil and then in soap to remove the oil. Seems to work pretty well.

I carry mine on the waist belt of my pack as well. Haven't given it a second thought....util now.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back