Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado BLM and State Land

Broadhead

Last season I ran into an issue in Colorado with an area marked as BLM land on OnX Maps and on TopRut's Google Earth download. As I didn't have time to scout prior to the season, I showed up the day before the season opener only to find that there were signs on the border of the land stating that is was leased land and no trespassing was allowed. Has anyone ran into this issue? Is there a site that lists which land can be/is leased privately and which cannot? I've searched extensively to try and avoid this issue this year, but have yet to find any substantial evidence one way or another.

Your best bet is to contact the BLM office responsible for managing the parcel in question and asking them to clarify the status. Generally, but not always, BLM leases are not exclusive. Best to find out from the agency. It wouldn't hurt to reach out to the local CPW officer as well, as there may be a history of bad acting on the part of the person posting the land.

I thought I had taken a picture of the sign but I can't find the picture at the moment. I'm confident the sign said private hunting lease. The way it was posted it definitely did not appear to be a grazing lease. I spoke with another hunter in the area and he confirmed it was privately leased too. Unless he was just as worried as I was about going onto the land and getting a trespassing fee if it were legal.

Sounds fishy. From my understanding all agreements with BLM are public record as well. I would definitely call the managing BLM office to get to the bottom of it.

Are you referring to the State Trust land that can be leased?

Pretty sure those blocks are exclusive leases for access.

Don't know that I've ever seen BLM land posted. Give us the location, maybe someone can look and update.

There is a piece up near divide that has a lease sign on it...I've never done any digging though

Sounds like a DB grazing lessee, one tried to run me off once, it wasn't a pretty discussion and profanity and proclamations about his mother ensued.

This was BLM land, not state land as also mentioned in your title, state land in Colorado is a whole different ball of wax and an ugly, ugly deal in itself.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back