Colorado Springs Hunting

I usually shoot at Cheyenne Mountain. The 3D course is really good. I usually warm up on the target range and then head over to the 3D course. I go regardless of weather as that's how real hunting is. I sent you a PM if you're still looking for a hunting buddy.

What's up man welcome to CO, I live in the springs as well. I'm 31 and an avid fly fisherman, just starting to get into the hunting game. I've been on 2 elk hunts, neither of which I had a tag for, I was just there for the fun and to help pack out. I would really like to try and get a gobbler this fall, however Elk hunting is my ultimate goal. Archery or rifle, I'm down with both but think I would enjoy the bow a little more. I have 2 kids under 5 years old so I won't be making any Week+ long hunting trips. I can get out for a couple nights as long as I plan it enough in advanced for my wife to get off work. Let me know if you would like to target some turkey this fall, I've been scouting google maps and researching the interwebs. Be fore warned though, I truly have no clue what I'm doing. Everything I know is from research online.

LostFedExMan, keep me in mind for the fall turkey hunt. We took 2 birds last fall and found a pretty nice spot heavy with turkey. Definitely going again in September. The draw application cut off is mid July, PM me if you're interested.

Try hunting east of the Mississippi where the vast majority is already private!

If you add up all the federally owned land, 90% of which is west of the Mississippi, it is about 1.3 million square miles, 1/7th of all the land in the U.S. and 10% of all the world's protected land. It would be the 7th largest country in the world after Russia, Canada, U.S., China, Brazil and Australia, the last of which is an entire continent!

Thank God for Teddy Roosevelt, who along with Gifford Pinchot and the early 1900s Congress, basically got it all started.

True, but there are pro's and cons. I am from Florida/Georgia as well, my uncle was the city manager of Palatka until he retired. (where the OP is from). I've since moved to Evergreen CO.

The Pro's:
In the South you can shoot in your yard typically as long as its not city limits.
Everyone has a buddy with private land, or you have private land.
Licenses are very generous on numbers of deer and length of season.
Neighborhood hunting whitetails is awesome and productive.
You generally feel much more free as the pain of lottery's, preference points, drawings, etc do not exist.

The Con:
Florida is now filling with lowlifes from everywhere, not just the northeast anymore.
Florida also over protects predators to their own demise. Growing up, we night swam in lakes all over Central/North Florida. These days there are so many gators, it would not be advisable.

I honestly found it way "easier" to hunt in the South. But I've been there, done that, so the Western type adventure hunts are on the menu from now on. I do think the Western hunts turn up the "fun" factor.

Last edited:
Back