Recoil issues

brnsvllyjohn

As I get older I am starting to have issues with shooting my 7 mag due to the recoil. My shoulder is not in great shape in fact I am a disabled archer as a result of the shoulder issues. The mag is a Featherweight Model 70 stainless classic and it has been my number one rifle for over 20 years. I shoot it better at game than any of my other rifles. I probably shoot a lightweight 7mm-08 (Browning A bolt) as well from the bench but just not as confident on game with the 7-08. My choices are to install a brake on the mag (and I hate brakes) or just start to carry the 7-08 a lot more. I already have hearing issues in my left ear and I am afraid the brake will just make it worse. I know I wouldn't wear hearing protection all of the time while hunting. I have owned the 7-08 for almost as long as the current 7 mag but just don't carry it often. I have taken a few bucks with the 7-08 but when I do carry it I always wish I had the mag.
I am already shooting 140 grain (Trophy Copper) and I can't really go to a lighter bullet. I have replaced the recoil pad twice with the latest and greatest pad as recommended by a local smith so short of installing a brake I may be in a situation where the mag will see a lot less use.
What would you guys do?

7mm08 120 gn TTSX at 3000 fps will take any buck within 350yds or so just as well as the Rem Mag but will only have 13 lbs recoil in an 7lb gun + scope (~8lbs).

I’d sell the magnum and carry the 7-08, but I detest recoil.

7mm08 120 gn TTSX at 3000 fps will take any buck within 350yds or so just as well as the Rem Mag but will only have 13 lbs recoil in an 7lb gun + scope (~8lbs).
You are correct of course and right now in the 7-08 really likes the 140 grain TTSX as well as the Hornady 139 GMX loads. I actually shoot it on paper slightly better than the 7 mag. The mag is just my favorite or has been.
In California we have to shoot non toxic loads and I have been for a few years. I shoot the same loads in Idaho because they have been accurate.

One issue I have with the Browning Micro Medallion is it is very light to the point of being too light in my left hand. I have thought about adding a couple of ounces to the front. I may install a larger heavier scope and that might help some. It currently has a Leupold 3x9 on it. From a prone position it doesn't matter much but shooting from my knees it just seems too light. I do use shooting sticks.

If you like the magnum that much better, put a brake on it and have the discipline to carry and use hearing protection.

The brake with hearing protection really isn't bad at all... as in, it doesn't bother me in the least. I already have bad hearing from being in bands in my teens and early 20s, so I try to always wear hearing protection.

Maybe try tailoring your rifles to your hunts? Take the 7 when you know you'll have time to get hearing protection on... and take something else when theres a high chance of jumping an animal?

Besides, I've found that animals where I don't have time to put on hearing protection are so close that I don't need a magnum(think inside 100 yards). The ones I've seen past that I typically have plenty of time to set up for the shot, including hearing protection.

Just my experience.

I have a browning A-bolt 300 WSM with the Boss. It recoils like a .243. Dont forget your earplugs.

Break + hearing protection is probably the easiest solution.

Cheapest would be to load 120gr bullets with a slightly faster than optimum powder. You won't give up that much velocity, but the faster powders means less of it to hit max pressure which means less recoil. I do something similar for my 338 Win Mag. My load with 65gr R15 kicks noticably less than a load with 73gr of another powder.

Another possibility would be a suppressor, but that'd be $$$ and may change the handling of the rifle to where you don't like it or shoot it as well.

Another possibility would be to rebarrel to a smaller cartridge. I can't think of anything I'd shoot with a 140gr out of a 7 Rem Mag that I wouldn't shoot with the same type of bullet in 100gr out of a 257 Weatherby. Another, yet oddball and a handloader only, option would be to rebarrel it to a 6.5 Rem Mag.

Honestly, my advice is to just carry the 7mm-08. Your confidence in it will blossom as you keep shooting things and they keep falling over, dead. At normal hunting ranges, I really don't think the mag offers any advantage, other than a flatter trajectory (especially with the bullets you're using).

Another option if you just really love that rifle: load-down the 7mag to a slower velocity.

Last edited:
I think your aversion to the ‘08 is mostly mental. Force yourself to shoot it for a few years and I bet you gain confidence.

Use the -08, the sentimentality for the 7 mag will fade....or brake the mag and wear db cancellation.

Break + hearing protection is probably the easiest solution.

Cheapest would be to load 120gr bullets with a slightly faster than optimum powder. You won't give up that much velocity, but the faster powders means less of it to hit max pressure which means less recoil. I do something similar for my 338 Win Mag. My load with 65gr R15 kicks noticably less than a load with 73gr of another powder.

Another possibility would be a suppressor, but that'd be $$$ and may change the handling of the rifle to where you don't like it or shoot it as well.

Another possibility would be to rebarrel to a smaller cartridge. I can't think of anything I'd shoot with a 140gr out of a 7 Rem Mag that I wouldn't shoot with the same type of bullet in 100gr out of a 257 Weatherby. Another, yet oddball and a handloader only, option would be to rebarrel it to a 6.5 Rem Mag.

This is the best solution. I had ZERO interest in owning a suppressor and even despised them for some reason.....until I shot my buddies rifle with one on it. I probably will never shoot a rifle without one again.

They are not as expensive as some make out to believe.

What you already have is a proven, and extremely popular cartridge in your 7/08, what you don't have is confidence & experience with it. I have two 7RM's and they have both been collecting dust in the safe since I bought my 7/08 and not once have I ever regretted the switch, nor has my freezer been any less empty. I can honestly say that 7/08 is my only 100% 1st shot/only shot needed to fill my tag.

Before spending any $$$ on trying to re-make your 7Mag more accommodating to your shoulder issues, I'd just invest some time with what you already have and spend the money on ammo & range time.

Lastly, here are some hard numbers taken straight from the Nosler data, with a 140 gr bullet. A 7RM is going to thump at around 22-24 Lbs of recoil.....the 7/08 is about 12-14, depending on loads.

A year ago I was shopping for another 7mm-08. I went from store to store to handle different guns and had it narrowed down to a Winchester or a Browning X bolt. I did not like the way the Tikka felt or a couple of others. My grandsons have a Tikka in 7mm-08 and it is very accurate, I just didn't like it. My thought was to purchase one that balanced in my hands the way I liked it. I had some unexpected medical expenses and my little slush fund got spent. A year later I am thinking about doing some shopping again for a 7mm-08 that I like the feel of. Of course as you all know it is not just the cost of the rifle that one needs to consider. I would buy a new scope as well as lots of expensive ammo for testing. If I buy a new rifle the existing 08 can go to the grandsons since right now they only have one 7mm-08.
In order to minimize the discomfort from shooting the 7 mag I always shoot with a Past recoil pad at the range and I don't run as many rounds through it as I once did. I tend to shoot a 3 shot group at 200 yards and assuming they are good I am done with the mag. I shoot the 7mm-08 a lot more now at the range so I am getting more comfortable with it. I like to go about once a week for a few weeks before deer season opens and then a trip or two mid season.

I haven't purchased a new rifle in 20 years so maybe it is time for something new.

I would add weight to the rifle. And if you reload, make some reduced loads for it. If you don’t like those choices throw it in the safe and shoot the 08. Or buy something smaller, good luck.

Here are your choices as i see them.
1) instead of a break on the RM, have your smith install a recoil mercury tube in the butt stock.
2) get electronic hearing protection.
3) trust the 7mm-08. Got my deer this year at 413 yards. 1 and done.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back