How are the November Moose Hunts in Idaho?

Blacktailbc

Looking for some input from you Idaho guys. How are the November hunts in Northern Idaho? Are they that much harder than the October hunts. Looking at the odds, the Nov. hunts are obviously quite a bit better. Anyone ever hunted moose in November?

From my experience big black moose are easy to spot against a white backdrop of snow especially when the leaves are off the bushes. Find the brush fields and find the moose. Amazingly I have seen rut activity in November where a cow that did not get bred in October would have two or three bulls chasing her around. I got to hunt unit 1-1 two years in a row.

Mica Man

From my experience big black moose are easy to spot against a white backdrop of snow especially when the leaves are off the bushes. Find the brush fields and find the moose. Amazingly I have seen rut activity in November where a cow that did not get bred in October would have two or three bulls chasing her around. I got to hunt unit 1-1 two years in a row.

Mica Man

Were you successful?
That's the unit I put in for. I havn't drawn yet because you keep getting it :p

I killed a decent moose on Nov 7, 2014. I did that hunt with an outfitter and he recommended coming that late...

Depends on the terrain and moose population. Some units have migration in, some migration out and some no real migration. That could mean you had better hunt early or perhaps is better to hunt late. Hunt early if the moose migrate out or don't migrate. The bulls in August/September may be shot or gone into the next unit by late season. Hunt late if the better bulls are not in the unit during start of season. My advice for SE ID would be to wait until the leaves were mostly off the trees. I could see bulls easier and judge the antlers easier when leaves were on the ground. Was also less crowded.

November is easier to find them. But when I drew I just wanted to get out and hunt ( and I lived near unit). I hunted 8 days in Sept in SE Idaho and saw zero moose. It snowed and the rut began and I started seeing moose in October and killed Oct 9. I put my wife in the next year for a hunt in an area I ran bears with hounds. I knew there were moose that could be seen from the road, and after killing one 5 miles from a road on mine, I wanted a road hunt. We saw 7 in a day just driving in early Sept. while checking baits and running hounds. We went in the evening and she got a good bull....I did not expect to get anything until October. A friend drew a SE Idaho tag last year in the place I got mine. He waited until November and was able to see a lot of bulls before killing. If it were me, I would concentrate on draw odds and success rates. If the panhandle units have good draw odds and halfway decent success in November, then try to draw and go and hunt hard. My goal was just an ok, halfway decent, non Bullwinkle bull. I was not after King Kong...so add that into consideration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back