MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado: Elk? Mule Deer? Other?

GreenmtnSage

Hi all,

New to Colorado and big game hunting. What do you all think is the most doable first time big game hunt in Colorado- Elk? Mule Deer? Something Else? I know hunting is never easy, so I'm not looking for the easiest hunt. I'm just limited by a lack of money, knowledge, equipment and would appreciate hearing what you all have to say so I can decide what I need to focus on before the season.

Thanks!

This is a tough question based on what kind of experience you want to have and how much time you have to devote to it. For sheer ease of harvest you are usually talking about a pronghorn (as well as you can shoot well). But the hunting experience I enjoy the most is in the mountains. If you have CO residency established RFW hunts can be a good alternative as well. Feel free to pm me about those if you have questions.

Thanks! Part of my problem is that I wont be a resident until July. Where are there pronghorn in Colorado? (asking generally)

the whole of the eastern part of the state pretty much.

that you could possibly draw a tag or go OTC?

suggest working over the Colorado hunting atlas. has species geographic range overlays a a LOT more.
https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtla

you are a new resident to Colorado? And will be one for the foreseeable? when you say resident in July is that the date you move here or will have established residency for purpose of buying resident versus nonresident license?

Focus (hard) on the April 3 hunt application deadline and apply. Apply for preference points for every species you may ever want to hunt some day. Sheep, moose, pronghorn, elk, deer, Mt. goat....If not already holding a 2017 annal small game or fishing license Buy a 2017 fishing license ASAP in next few days before it is too late? why? so you can apply for aforementioned preference points without paying $25 per point per species. Save you a ton of $$. This is outlined in preference points section of hunt regs booklet. if you wont be able to hunt at resident prices this year DO get the preference pints for several species at least if money is tight. You will be GLAD you did next year and will have a crack at better hunt options next year.....

you can hunt elk over the counter for about $50 as a resident. All deer tags are limited, some tags can be had first year you apply, many cannot. get familar with the hunt draw statistics pages on CPW WEBSITE. and start for pronghorn, deer and elk by looking at tags you can get with zero preference points built up. then worry about and filter based on where the hunts are etc....

Last edited:
I will not have residency established for hunting purposes until July. I figure OTC is going to be my only option no matter what, but the small game license for preference points is a good idea! Thanks!

I have a rifle I am breaking in currently (30-06). But other than that a 12ga shotgun I have only ever shot birds and rabbits with. Seems like I may need to think seriously about pronghorn.

Rifle buck tags would take a couple points in most units, but a doe tag might be easy to get to start breaking you in to the hunting. A lot of units have leftover doe muzzleloader tags if you want an excuse to buy another gun. You don't have to spend a lot to get into it, no matter what anyone says or thinks. If you'd like to buy a bow, just about the whole east side of the state in OTC for archery. Once again, you don't have to spend a ton to get into it. The nice thing about the new leftover system is that you can snag a tag that might take a couple points as a leftover without needing or using points. Antelope are an excellent way to break in a new hunter. They are plentiful and if you bust a stalk there's a high probability of finding another herd pretty quickly. If you really just want to try hunting, then I would suggest doe hunts in Wyoming. The tags are cheap ($46 in the draw) and there's a whole lot of public land, and you're allowed 4 of them. You can't beat antelope meat!!

I will not have residency established for hunting purposes until July. I figure OTC is going to be my only option no matter what, but the small game license for preference points is a good idea! Thanks!

you need to buy the $56 2017 annual small game or fishing before March 31 or too late. Also it is $40 fee per pref point per species not $25. So a no brainer eat the 2017 small game or fishing license to apply for multiple species pref points.

I have a rifle I am breaking in currently (30-06). But other than that a 12ga shotgun I have only ever shot birds and rabbits with. Seems like I may need to think seriously about pronghorn.

You can always wait for leftovers and then returned tags for deer. If you have the time, some pretty decent tags get returned.

Late season antelope doe tags are usually available after the draw.

You can hunt bear with a rifle for 8 weeks or something crazy.

This is what I would do...

Apply for first choice Elk for preference points and Deer some crazy hard unit so you 100% wont draw, then don't put a second or third choice. Mark "send leftover application".

You will get your leftover app because you wont draw the deer tag and by then you will be a resident so you can apply for a leftover doe as a resident.

Then I would get a limited bear tag in a unit you want to hunt next year during 1st elk and scout it/hunt. I would then get an OTC elk tag for 2nd season and give it a go...

I would also put in for a WY Pronghorn doe tag ($45) or something.

You will spend maybe $200 on tags and be able to hunt every weekend from Sept 1- the end of October. I bet you will fill at least one of your tags and if you do in fact hunt almost every weekend you will learn a ton.

You can hunt bear with a rifle for 8 weeks or something crazy.

This is what I would do...

Apply for first choice Elk for preference points and Deer some crazy hard unit so you 100% wont draw, then don't put a second or third choice. Mark "send leftover application".

You will get your leftover app because you wont draw the deer tag and by then you will be a resident so you can apply for a leftover doe as a resident.

Then I would get a limited bear tag in a unit you want to hunt next year during 1st elk and scout it/hunt. I would then get an OTC elk tag for 2nd season and give it a go...

I would also put in for a WY Pronghorn doe tag ($45) or something.

You will spend maybe $200 on tags and be able to hunt every weekend from Sept 1- the end of October. I bet you will fill at least one of your tags and if you do in fact hunt almost every weekend you will learn a ton.

Where can I get this 8 week rifle bear tag? :confused:

Lol ok you can get a limited tag for a unit and then a concurrent unlimited tag for the same unit... jeez ;)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back